Jandy and GFI Replacement

Oct 5, 2011
Has anyone replaced their GFI in the control panel and found that the Jandy system power is tied into the GFI along with the pool lights. This makes sense such that if there is an GFI current leak between power and neutral, it will also shutdown all motors as required by code, yet the Jandy manual shows only the lights connected through the GFI. Am I wiring it wrong on the replacement as it now blows everytime. Is there a special GFI type required for pool applications? Suggestions welcome.

Ordinary GFI units are fine.

It is unusual for the automation system to draw power from the same GFI as the lights, but not unheard of.

If you hook everything up correctly and nothing is broken then it should work for the main panel to draw power from the GFI used for the lights. Try running just the lights and/or just the panel and see if it still trips. It would be easy for the lights to have a GFI fault, less likely that the panel would, but also possible.

Thanks for the reply. You are correct in that the system power alone does not shutdown the gfi. But either spa or pool lights do. What do you suggest to troubleshoot other than tracing and measuring each line. What do i measure for is my question ~ shorts to ground to common or current. I dont know what resistance to expect between lines since all seem shorted or just have filament resistance?
Thanks for any ideas.

Make sure that if you are taking the power center off the GFI, to also make sure that the power centers' neutral and ground is also disconnected from the GFI. If left connected will always trip your GFI. The neutral and ground will have to go to their respective buses back in the power center.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.