Would this bother you?!?

Would this bother you?!?

• Total voters
I am concerned with an area of our pebblesheen. It isn't noticeable in the day, but we paid extra $ for the pebblesheen as well as LED lights and it is VERY noticeable at night. Our PB has not seen a picture at night (I just took these) but when my husband mentioned it and asked if it could be fixed, the PB said the pool would need to be drained, the portion cut out and then re-plastered and basically that wasn't an option and we should expect imperfections and live with them. This is all I notice when I am outside trying to enjoy my pool or spa. It looks like someone rode their bike in my pool :roll:

dent2.jpg

dents.jpg

These are taken from my iphone and are much more obvious in person.

This is your pool the only opinion that maters is yours. I see what your are talking about in the pictures although pictures don't always do justice. Kinda surprised by the blunt rudeness of your PB. What is there reputation like? When you decided to go with them was it because they were the cheapest. If so you might have found out why. I would get them out there at night. They have some expaining to do. If I paid 30,000 to 40,000 for a new car and the dealer delivered it with a paint imperfection. I would be mad.

Yes this would bother me!!! Each of the craftsman that worked on the pool knew it was there also. As a person familiar with business tactics. The PB is trying to sell you the job or convince you that its not worth the trouble to fix both of which benefit him. You have to decide for yourself if its bad enough to drain the pool.

Just a cautionary thought....the cure may be worse than the disease. Trying to blend old work with new work of ANY masonry product is usually problematic. Your finish may be different but there is usually a significant color difference that will never match the surrounding area.

Why can you not see it in the daytime?

It's funny how at night, with the light on, pump off, and the water all glassy, you can pick out the slightest imperfections. I actually have some valleys in my plaster. Never really bothered me much and looking at your pool, I think that it looks great! Like duraleigh said, the cure may be worse. You really can't put new onto old in hopes of repairing it.

As usual great advice from the mods here. It would be a shame to fix it only to have a defect that can be seen day and night. I know your eyes are drawn to that spot of the pool but there is so much more to look at. You have a beautiful pool.

Still I would have expected your PB to give a response like you got from the mods here. It's a shame all that work went into the pool and poor communication left you feeling bad about the job.

I think it looks fine. No surface is ever absolutely perfect. At night, with the light on, shining on a surface at a low angle like that, will reveal every insignificant imperfection. I bet your grooves are just a tiny fraction of an inch deep in reality. My pool has trowel marks that can only be seen at night with the light on, and it doesn't bother me at all. It's just part of life, especially when dealing with things like plaster, tile, etc.

Thank you for the replies. I spoke to the pool builder today, explained my concerns and asked him to come look at the pool at night. He said he would and we would go from there.

BBBliever, our PB has a great reputation, was recommended by our HOA and was actually on the more expensive side of the quotes we received, but he also included everything we wanted that others had left out. I do agree with you about the lack of communication leaving me with a bad feeling :(

I think that it looks OK. There are always some minor imperfections to every pool that give each pool its own personality and character. Trying to fix it would probably end up being more trouble than it's worth.

You could use some eyeballs to direct some water flow towards to surface to create a little bit of rippling, which will obscure minor defects. Or, use the fountains to disturb the water's surface when you want to obscure the imperfections.

You might also be able to adjust the light lens to direct the light from directly impacting the bottom.

If you can dim the light a bit, then that would lessen the effect. That light is a little bright anyway. Or you could put the lights on separate switches, and only turn on the deep end light.

Overall, if you're happy with everything else, I would consider the project very successful.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Would not bother me at all from an aesthetics standpoint. Only reason I would care is if it in any way effected the function - like if the vacuum had problems, or if it could mean the surface would not have as long a life or something. I would guess there are no such issues tho since the mods did not seem concerned. If all of that checks out, don't give it a second thought. Congrats on a great pool!

Yeah that would bother me and make me unhappy. But if the builder is not willing to do what it would take to fix it, then I would move on. The trouble to MAKE him fix it would definitely not be worth it, and might wind up worse, and it's not that huge of a deal to me.

My pool is plaster and I can see a lot of imperfections ONLY AT NIGHT. After a year of looking at it, it doesn't bother me anymore. I truly believe I'm the only one that has ever noticed it and besides that, it doesn't leak and looks great during the day. Lights bring out many imperfections. Same thing can be seen when looking at plaster walls - only at night with light on them.

Dear Monkeys Mom,

I know exactly how you feel. We all of us are so excited and hopeful when we begin to have our pools built or refurbished. Early on, it never occurs to us that along the way things are going to go wrong and never be made right. Folks who don't run into disappointment should count their blessings.

If this were my pool, I would be ultra-disappointed. This is a PebbleTec product--supposedly the top of the line, with only a limited number of authorized installers. You couldn't get a better or more beautiful pool surface unless maybe you had your pool completely surfaced with exotic glass tile or such.

However, those who have said it are right: you most likely would have to have the entire pool chipped out and the PTec completely reapplied to have it come out right, and that is a tall order in every way. Think this over well, and try to come to a decision soon. If you do have it redone--now is the time. I wouldn't think you were crazy to have the whole shebang ripped out and redone.

A year has passed since our pool was redone. (Our PebbleTec surface is virtually perfect.) Our problems lie elsewhere: I don't know how long it will take until I no longer notice the crooked waterline tile or the unmatched coping, but I do seem to notice it less and less as the months go by. If I swim alone, it still gives me a twinge in my stomach. When I have company over, and everyone is enjoying themselves, my pool is a gorgeous oasis.

Good luck with making your decision.

Lana

monkey's mom, i'm sorry to hear of the isssues you are having with the pebblesheen. i will tell you that we have some what i would call minor imperfections but they are only noticeable for the most part on cloudy days. for the most part, we are not out in the pool when it's cloudy and quite frankly never notice it anymore. like some of the PB's and experts have said, it would likely become more of a challenge to match it if you choose to repair it. my guess is that in a very short period of time, you will not even think about it. good luck and i hope you get the outcome you are looking for.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.