Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Balancing before closing

1. Back To Top    #1

Balancing before closing

Dumb me been adding water because of a leak and need to replace motor. I haven't checked my numbers besides PH and FC for a while. Checked tonight because I want to close the pool this weekend. Surprise no CYA could still see the dot after I filled the tube to the top. Here's the numbers. I added about 5lbs of stabilizer to raise the CYA and about 6lbs baking soda to raise the TA and PH. This is all the chems I had available tonight. What should I do next? Thanks

FC 4.5
    C .5
    PH 7.2
    TA 6.0
    CYA 0?
    CH 40
    Temp 64
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Balancing before closing

The baking soda will have little affect on your pH. However, I would leave it alone anyway. Anything in the 7's is acceptable and there is a natural tendency for many (perhaps most) pools to rise in pH.

How does your water look? If it's nice and clear you are ready to close.

As an aside, are you still running your pump 24/7? I cut mine back to about 6 hours daily this time of year.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Balancing before closing

The water is clear. I'm running the pump overnight only about 19 hours. Thanks for the input I'll close this weekend.
    16X32 Rectangular In Ground Built 1998, New Vinyl liner and Motor 8/2012, 19,000, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward Super Pump,PoolPilot DIG-220 SWG, 2 Skimmers, Main Drain, Clean Machine Robot, Full Sun, Bleach, TFTest Kit
    Central, VA