Cover the skimmer opening?

Tebpac

May 22, 2011
State College,PA
Winterizing the the pool this week and was wondering if I have to put a cover over the skimmer opening? I put in the black bottle plug thing and cover up the hole in the skimmer top lid but wasn't sure I needed to do the other. Had a gal talk about a skimmer plug that covered the whole thing that she had purchased this summer for winterizing. I was told I didn't need to cover it and to keep a plug in the skimmer collection unit and that is it. Thoughts?

Todd

If you lowered the water level below the skimmer and used a "black bottle plug thing" then you should be fine. Sealing skimmer covers are normally used when you are not lowering the water level for some reason.

Water levels always rise during winter, I just bought a new Skimmer Plug that seals all water out, do a search on the net for it, its easily the best I have come across...taping over the skimmer cover wont accomplish anything as the adhesive will pull away eventually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.