Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Cover the skimmer opening?

1. Back To Top    #1

State College,PA

Cover the skimmer opening?

Winterizing the the pool this week and was wondering if I have to put a cover over the skimmer opening? I put in the black bottle plug thing and cover up the hole in the skimmer top lid but wasn't sure I needed to do the other. Had a gal talk about a skimmer plug that covered the whole thing that she had purchased this summer for winterizing. I was told I didn't need to cover it and to keep a plug in the skimmer collection unit and that is it. Thoughts?

15x30 AG, 13000 gal
    Sand Filter 22", 1.5hp, Flow/backwash rate 55 gpm

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Cover the skimmer opening?

If you lowered the water level below the skimmer and used a "black bottle plug thing" then you should be fine. Sealing skimmer covers are normally used when you are not lowering the water level for some reason.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide

In the Industry

New Brunswick Canada

Re: Cover the skimmer opening?

Water levels always rise during winter, I just bought a new Skimmer Plug that seals all water out, do a search on the net for it, its easily the best I have come across...taping over the skimmer cover wont accomplish anything as the adhesive will pull away eventually.