Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar panel pumping question

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar panel pumping question

I have a Pentair single speed 2hp pump. Distance from pump pad to pool is about 75 feet. Two returns and two skimmers. I want to add a solar panel setup in my system, maybe 2 - 4x20 or 2x20 panels mounted on the ground. I would tee off discharge of filter and return to same spot. Elevation changes very little.

My question is, is that too much piping for my pump to pump through? It would mean water would leave the filter, go 75 feet, through solar, 75 feet back, 75 feet to pool, 75 feet back to pump suction. I realize only a portion of the water is going through the solar.

Let me know what you think. Sketch attached.
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. Back To Top    #2
    Silver Spring, MD

Re: Solar panel pumping question

That should work just fine. You have a rather large pump, even a somewhat smaller pump would be able to handle that. Just make sure you use at least 2" pipe for the long runs.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Solar panel pumping question

Too late, already have 1.5" for the pump to pool stuff. Solar will be add-on next year. I'll use 2" for that.