Liquid Solar Blanket experience

acroy

May 11, 2010
Dallas TX
My experience with liquid solar blanket

I’ve seen ‘tropical fish’ and ‘solar pill’ liquid blankets. It is just wax in isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol is water miscible and will evaporate. The wax forms a layer on the water to reduce evaporation. Evaporation causes temperature loss in pools as it takes a tremendous amount of energy to go through the phase change.

Worst it could be was a terrible mistake, so decided to try it. I bought several liters of “Liquid Heat Solar Blanket” on Amazon of all places. It's made by the same company that does the ‘solar fish’ and is designed to be used in a dosing system.

The last 4 weeks I’ve been spreading 1-2oz per day over my 800 sq ft (estimate) pool after we are out of the pool for the day. Instructions call for 1oz/day/400sq ft.

Results: It has worked pretty much as advertised! Pool has needed makeup water twice in the last 4 weeks, vs. every couple days previously. Pool temp has hovered 78-80F, despite shortening days, winds, and low humidity. We still use the pool 'most every day. There is a slight oily sheen to the pool if you can catch the right angle – have to look for it, not objectionable. No noticeable waxy residue anywhere.

I intrigued at the possibility of using it all summer to reduce water loss and rising CH. The pool goes through (best guess) 150gal/day or more in summer. Managing CH has been a hassle, 200ppm incoming water, pool climbs above 400ppm very quick. Running around 475 right now.

So: Your Mileage May Vary, but (so far) I like this stuff. I will attempt to whip up my own with high-grade paraffin and isopropyl alcohol

Enjoy the awesome Autumn folks!!
:cheers:

I'm happy to hear it worked for you. Renews my faith in human nature - maybe companies don't market things that just don't work.

My experience, though, was 180 degrees out from yours - there was no evidence that it worked at all.

Anyway, as you say, YMMV.

Cheers!

Consistancy seems to be the key - I suspect folks' experience with the 'fish' is the dose rate is too high and they get scum, or too low and it's innefective. As long as I stay on top of it, it seems very effective. Will be watching carefully for any scum buildup, but so far so good.

I'm actually pretty excited about using this to help combat CH rise - this has been a hassle and expense for the 2yrs of pool ownnership!

Near-constant wind 5-10mph and low humidity. It made an immediate and very noticeable difference in evaporation. The 'sheen' seems to dissipate in 24-48hrs, I assume as the wax breaks down with agitation and CL action. As long as I'm consistant about adding the product, the water level drops much more slowly and water temp has remained suprisingly steady. Still about 78F despite hitting 50's at night, only 80's during the day.

I'd be interested in seeing what happens to two buckets filled to the same level and sitting in the pool on the steps. One with the liquid and one without.

JohnT said:
I'd be interested in seeing what happens to two buckets filled to the same level and sitting in the pool on the steps. One with the liquid and one without.

oo nice idea. will have to give it a try. if I got my math right, need about .05ml of the stuff in the bucket... hmmm...Will see if I have small droppers in the lab

i have the same stuff, i noticed the bottle says 90% isopropyl alcohol....you said it was mixed with wax, isopropyl alcohol is way cheap compared to the heatsavr stuff, so is there a way to mix wax with rubbing alcohol?...i've got the system, they alreafy have my money, but mixing wax with alcohol i would do, or even add 3 times the amount...seems stupid to buy something that's marked up 1000%

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.