Become a TFP Supporter Welcome to our new server and new forum software. Pool School

Thread: Liquid Solar Blanket experience

Liquid Solar Blanket experience

My experience with liquid solar blanket

I’ve seen ‘tropical fish’ and ‘solar pill’ liquid blankets. It is just wax in isopropyl alcohol. The alcohol is water miscible and will evaporate. The wax forms a layer on the water to reduce evaporation. Evaporation causes temperature loss in pools as it takes a tremendous amount of energy to go through the phase change.

Worst it could be was a terrible mistake, so decided to try it. I bought several liters of “Liquid Heat Solar Blanket” on Amazon of all places. It's made by the same company that does the ‘solar fish’ and is designed to be used in a dosing system.

The last 4 weeks I’ve been spreading 1-2oz per day over my 800 sq ft (estimate) pool after we are out of the pool for the day. Instructions call for 1oz/day/400sq ft.

Results: It has worked pretty much as advertised! Pool has needed makeup water twice in the last 4 weeks, vs. every couple days previously. Pool temp has hovered 78-80F, despite shortening days, winds, and low humidity. We still use the pool 'most every day. There is a slight oily sheen to the pool if you can catch the right angle – have to look for it, not objectionable. No noticeable waxy residue anywhere.

I intrigued at the possibility of using it all summer to reduce water loss and rising CH. The pool goes through (best guess) 150gal/day or more in summer. Managing CH has been a hassle, 200ppm incoming water, pool climbs above 400ppm very quick. Running around 475 right now.

So: Your Mileage May Vary, but (so far) I like this stuff. I will attempt to whip up my own with high-grade paraffin and isopropyl alcohol

Enjoy the awesome Autumn folks!!
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

Re: Liquid Solar Blanket experience

That's the first good review I've ever seen! Thanks for reporting in.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

I'm happy to hear it worked for you. Renews my faith in human nature - maybe companies don't market things that just don't work.

My experience, though, was 180 degrees out from yours - there was no evidence that it worked at all.

Anyway, as you say, YMMV.

Cheers!
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

Consistancy seems to be the key - I suspect folks' experience with the 'fish' is the dose rate is too high and they get scum, or too low and it's innefective. As long as I stay on top of it, it seems very effective. Will be watching carefully for any scum buildup, but so far so good.

I'm actually pretty excited about using this to help combat CH rise - this has been a hassle and expense for the 2yrs of pool ownnership!
    33k Gunite, CompuPool CPSC48 SWG, Sta-Rite System 3 DE, 2.25hp dual-speed, POOLVERGNUEGEN Pressure-side

acroy, would you say that your pool site is windy?
    One thing I always hear about this product is the effect of wind on it.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list

Near-constant wind 5-10mph and low humidity. It made an immediate and very noticeable difference in evaporation. The 'sheen' seems to dissipate in 24-48hrs, I assume as the wax breaks down with agitation and CL action. As long as I'm consistant about adding the product, the water level drops much more slowly and water temp has remained suprisingly steady. Still about 78F despite hitting 50's at night, only 80's during the day.

I'd be interested in seeing what happens to two buckets filled to the same level and sitting in the pool on the steps. One with the liquid and one without.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

Quote Originally Posted by JohnT
    I'd be interested in seeing what happens to two buckets filled to the same level and sitting in the pool on the steps. One with the liquid and one without.
    oo nice idea. will have to give it a try. if I got my math right, need about .05ml of the stuff in the bucket... hmmm...Will see if I have small droppers in the lab

i have the same stuff, i noticed the bottle says 90% isopropyl alcohol....you said it was mixed with wax, isopropyl alcohol is way cheap compared to the heatsavr stuff, so is there a way to mix wax with rubbing alcohol?...i've got the system, they alreafy have my money, but mixing wax with alcohol i would do, or even add 3 times the amount...seems stupid to buy something that's marked up 1000%
    18x36 IG Vinyl. ~29k Gallons.
    Pentair CCP420 Cartridge Filter
    Pentair Inteli-flow VS Pump
    Hayward Goldline SWG
    Tigershark QC Robot