Jackson, Mississippi pool closing

May 25, 2011
Jackson, MS
TFP has been a great resource for us when we moved into our rented house in April. I move a lot for work and we are probably going to remain in Mississippi for another year. I'm unsure about what to do for the winter with the pool?

The landlord had one of those mesh covers, but when we moved in the pool was a complete swamp and they had to get it opened for us. I don't want to turn it into a swamp over the winter, but am not sure how to maintain it. Its too cold to swim and we aren't investing in a heater, but it barely freezes here. Should i leave it uncovered, clean the leaves out of it and don't run the filter every day?

I've done it both ways and it's definitely easier to cover it and close it properly than it is to maintain it over the winter. It's really your call however. If you don't want to invest in a solid cover then keeping it open will be best.

If you leave it uncovered you'll have to keep the chlorine maintained, vacuum/skim/scrub, and run filter.

The mesh cover sounds like a leaf cover only. There are a number of fine/micro-mesh covers on the market designed to drain water off the top but this doesn't sound like one of them.

Best thing to do in this case is go with closing instructions on Pool School for in-ground. I had to buy a cover but other than that it was a lot easier than any other options.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.