Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yet another Main Drain question

1. Back To Top    #1

Yet another Main Drain question

Thank you all so much for your expertise I have spent many many hours on this site.

I really do not want to install a main drain on my DIY 20 X 40 8' depth vinyl liner install. My question is, will I have enough suction side with two skimmers plumbed separately with 2" pipe? I will also have a dedicated line for a MX8 pool cleaner to clean the bottom of the pool. I have 6 returns planned.
    Under construction DIY 20x40 vinyl liner steel wall pool, Pentair 2hp wisperflo, Pentair tr100 sand filter, Pentair Minimax 400k heater, diving board, 8 foot sit n step, xtream waterslide, 1700 concrete deck, one amazing wife, 4 children and two German shepherds.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: Yet another Main Drain question

Then don't!

There is no need for a MD. You just have to account for cleaning the pool and if you're going to use a cleaner then you have that covered.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Yet another Main Drain question

The pros of having a main drain would be faster water turnover cycles and help in lowering your pool for winterizing, etc,....
    The dedicated cleaner line should be sufficient to help you winterize.

(The skimmers and MX-8 seem to do most all my cleaning)

BTW, I highly recommend an auto leveller. When you are just drawing just from skimmers, they can easily suck air and cavitate the pump if/when the water level gets a little low.

Hope that helps,
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build