New pool owner

Sep 19, 2011
Plant City, Florida
We bought a home this summer just east of Tampa, that we will be using as a vacation home until we retire. My Dad goes over once a week and adds chlorine (1 3" tablet and 1 gal. of bleach) He is in his 80's and does not want to test or do more, so I have no test data at this time. Since July this method has worked great, no algae all summer. The pool is inside a screen room, so it gets no leafs or bugs.

Now it is cooling off and he wants to know if he needs to continue through out the winter. I know the water will eventually get cool, but will not get cold, and I have turned the solar heater off.

My question is: At what temp. does he stop going over, or should he continue through the winter, and is there anything else I should do when we go down for Thanksgiving?

Thanks for the help!
Mike in Plant City

PS, I will set up my signature once I get the test, and pool equipment data.

You'll need to continue doing that until the water temp gets to about 50ºF. So, for you, that means from now on. :(

It will use less and less in the winter than in the summer. You'll have to test to determine how much to add each time. I wouldn't trust just dumping some in each time without knowing that it's at least going to be close to the right amount.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.