Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: New pool owner

1. Back To Top    #1

Plant City, Florida

New pool owner

We bought a home this summer just east of Tampa, that we will be using as a vacation home until we retire. My Dad goes over once a week and adds chlorine (1 3" tablet and 1 gal. of bleach) He is in his 80's and does not want to test or do more, so I have no test data at this time. Since July this method has worked great, no algae all summer. The pool is inside a screen room, so it gets no leafs or bugs.

Now it is cooling off and he wants to know if he needs to continue through out the winter. I know the water will eventually get cool, but will not get cold, and I have turned the solar heater off.

My question is: At what temp. does he stop going over, or should he continue through the winter, and is there anything else I should do when we go down for Thanksgiving?

Thanks for the help!
    Mike in Plant City

PS, I will set up my signature once I get the test, and pool equipment data.

2. Back To Top    #2
    SouthWest Alabama

Re: New pool owner

You'll need to continue doing that until the water temp gets to about 50ºF. So, for you, that means from now on.

It will use less and less in the winter than in the summer. You'll have to test to determine how much to add each time. I wouldn't trust just dumping some in each time without knowing that it's at least going to be close to the right amount.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit