Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IntelliFlo question

1. Back To Top    #1

IntelliFlo question

Hello everyone,
    I am almost finished with my pool build and am in the process of powering up my pumps and SWG. My question is:
    How do I use the built in timer on my IntelliFlo Variable Speed pump to start and stop my SWG? The manual for the SWG says to use the same timer for the pump and SWG.

I am searching the pump manual and can find no information on how to do this. Do I have the right idea or do I need an additional timer? The SWG I bought is the CircuPool RJ 30.
    Any information is appreciated.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: IntelliFlo question

There is no easy way to do that if you don't have a separate automation system. The timer in the IntelliFlo has no way to control anything external. So you either use a separate timer for the SWG and hope you can keep the clocks in sync, or you get a current sensing relay to turn the SWG on and off when it detects that the pump is drawing power.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Ok, thank you for the quick reply.

4. Back To Top    #4

Two ideas. I have a Pentair salt cell and if the pump is off the salt cell is actually off because it has a flow sensor. The only caveat to this is that the lights on the salt cell blink. I have a Pentair Easy touch which talks to the salt cell by rs-485 but the salt cell is still lit up and the lights blink when the salt cell is off to indicate no flow. The lights are so bright that we can see the glow from our bedroom at night.

My second thought is to put a pressure switch on the system and when the pump and there is pressure it will electrify the salt cell.
    Northeast PA (Mt Cobb) 16,000 gallon in ground salt pool with all Pentair automation and Intelliflo VS pump. Also part of the pool is a two 5-horsepower 3-jet Badujet swim system. For heating we use a 384 sq-ft Heliocol solar pool heating system and additional solar from the 160 sq-ft house solar heating system.

5. Back To Top    #5

You don't want to rely on the flow sensor. Flow sensors are not reliable enough. If you have an EasyTouch system there is no need for any of this, as the EasyTouch will make sure the SWG is off at the correct times.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

That depends on which EZT he has. Not all have the transformer. That being said, the there is a 485 connection from the IC's PSU available to go to the EZT.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

7. Back To Top    #7

Jason suggested on my other thread that I thought was easy and very simple for someone who don't want to add any more equipments to their pool. Set the pump on manual mode at the speed that works and have it wired together with the SWG to the timer. When the timer is on, both turn on. Except when you have a long pwr outage, I don't know if the manual will hold. But I don' think it's a big deal.

The other one Jason also suggested was to add a small and simple current sensing device which turns on the SWG when the pump is on. This might not work in the case where you want the pump to turn on without the SWG like preheating the pool before a swim.

how-to-control-intellichlor-ic40-w-current-control-relay-t28298.html
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

8. Back To Top    #8

What if I use the built in timer on the SWG (the CircuPool RJ30 has a timer)? For example, if I set the pump to come on at 8:00 am and shut off at 2:00 pm I can program the SWG to come on at 8:30 and shut down at 1:30. This would give enough time difference between the two clocks so I won't have to worry about the SWG being on while the pump is off, flow sensor or not. Does this sound like a safe enough approach?

9. Back To Top    #9

Yes, that is a workable approach as long as you check occasionally to make sure the clocks don't drift out of sync.

10. Back To Top    #10

Thanks, I will keep track of the clocks and make sure there is no chance the SWG will be on without the pump.

11. Back To Top    #11

Would it work to put the swg output to 0% at the same time you turn the pump off? I hope so since i have done that a few times before storms when ive turned off the pump
    30000 gallon inground gunite pool
    Intelliflo ic-60 SWG, pentair tagelus sand filter, 1.5 hp whisperflo pump, tf 100 test kit,
    2 kids(tl), 1 mini-dachshund/lab mix(t),
    Central Illinois

12. Back To Top    #12

Yes, setting the SWG to 0% is fine, essentially the same as turning it off.

13. Back To Top    #13

Quote Originally Posted by CARSON
    Thanks, I will keep track of the clocks and make sure there is no chance the SWG will be on without the pump.
    It's the power outages, and many times we don't know, that wil cause the problem. Power outage stops the timer clock for SWG but the built in timer of the pump keeps going for some time.
    35k Gallon, 2 In Piping, Aquarite, KK, Spa, Water Fall.

14. Back To Top    #14

this is 120V, so no good for the pentair pump, but it may help someone with a similar problem...wanting one piece of equipment to turn on automatically when another is powered up. this is generally used with power tools, shop vacs and lights...but lots of applications.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1260 ... uto+Switch
    20x47' double roman vinyl liner pool. Pentair EasyTouch 8PSC-IC40, 011018 Pentair IntelliFlo, Pentair Clean & Clear Plus Filter CCP420, Pentair 120V IntelliBrite LED, Cleardeck indeck solar reel, 530 sq' solar system Polaris 9300xi robot, Interfab Turbotwister slide, S.R. Smith T7 diving board, deck jets vinyl-liner-pool-build-in-ontario-canada-new-pictures-t30213.html

15. Back To Top    #15

amati5 gave a link above to a topic discussing another device that works in the same way, but is more appropriate for use with an IntelliFlo pump.