This past weekend we had our pool closed and I had asked for our pool installer to install a safety cover. For reference, our pool is an 18x36 kidney.
This is what happened with the install:
- There isn't an equal overlap of cover around the perimiter of the pool. It varies, but at the extreme, there is 18" overlap on one side while the other side is low as 5". You can actually see the coping stone. This concerns me because when snow and ice pile build up on the cover, I'm worried about a gap existing between the coping and the cover. From what I read, it looks like there should be a minimum uniform overlap of 12" around the entire pool perimeter. What should I do?[/*:m:1zxwm67a]
- The installer really messed up with the anchor install. Our pool deck consists of 1-1/2" natural stone pavers (dry lay, not mortared) placed on a crushed limestone bed. Below that is nominal 4" thick x 3' concrete perimeter slab. The installer simply drilled a 3/4" diameter hole and popped in the 1-3/4" brass anchors. So far, 10 flagstones are completeley cracked. One anchor actually popped out. From what I've read, to properly install these anchors, they should be inserted in a 15" aluminum sleeve and drilled into the joints to prevent cracking the flagstone. [/*:m:1zxwm67a]
I will be meeting with the installer tomorrow morning and he will be bringing in the pool cover manufacturer. This is my planned approach:
- I will explain that I have researched this matter and that I believe that the cover should have been placed so that there would be a uniform overlap around the perimiter. I expect this to be corrected by realigning the safety cover and redrilling the anchor points.[/*:m:1zxwm67a]
- All anchors should be the 15" sleeve type and drilled into the joints, not through the middle of the sandstone flagstone.[/*:m:1zxwm67a]
- All stonework to be replaced as required.[/*:m:1zxwm67a]
Since I haven't paid for anything yet, I feel I have the upper hand, but I don't want to be completely unreasonable. Is my approach rational, fair, etc? I am also prepared to tell him to take his cover and leave the property because I am not ruling out getting another cover made and installed by someone else.
Please feel free to chime in and offer any advice. I am extremely upset (Edit) over this.
Thanks in advance.