solid pool cover maintenance?

LeeM2

Jul 3, 2010
My cover is pretty heavy and when I remove it, I clean it with the water and pool brush on both sides, let it dry then bend it dozens of times and put it in the cover bag. The cover is about 7yr old, it's not soft and it looks like it's getting worn out where it's been bent.

guys who close my pool recommended use of some sort of chemical, which would extend the covers' life. I guess the chemical is supposed to make it softer so it doesn't get worn out as much when I put it in the cover bag. They didn't know the chemical name, they are not in selling business, but it's was something like armor all for vinyl.

Any ideas?

thanks.

While cleaning a cover is some benefit to a solid vinyl safety cover, not all are equal in durability when exposed to the sun and snow loads. Some dry out faster than others resulting in faster aging. Armour All type products don't do much when storing a cover. Most of the aging is occurring when the cover is over the pool.

Scott

My experience is that solid covers often fail after only a couple of years, even if you get one of the more expensive kinds. If the creases don't crack something else goes wrong, at least for me, so I never bother with that kind of thing.

JasonLion said:
My experience is that solid covers often fail after only a couple of years, even if you get one of the more expensive kinds. If the creases don't crack something else goes wrong, at least for me, so I never bother with that kind of thing.

Do you cover your pool? I thought about getting a solid pool cover, but after reading many negatives reviews, I am beginning to have second thoughts.
I bought a cover last year that came with water tubes. Only problem is it was a little short and didn't cover up the walk in steps. We put a tarp down over the area. It did work....pool was nice and clean upon opening in the spring.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.