Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: solid pool cover maintenance?

1. Back To Top    #1

solid pool cover maintenance?

My cover is pretty heavy and when I remove it, I clean it with the water and pool brush on both sides, let it dry then bend it dozens of times and put it in the cover bag. The cover is about 7yr old, it's not soft and it looks like it's getting worn out where it's been bent.

guys who close my pool recommended use of some sort of chemical, which would extend the covers' life. I guess the chemical is supposed to make it softer so it doesn't get worn out as much when I put it in the cover bag. They didn't know the chemical name, they are not in selling business, but it's was something like armor all for vinyl.

Any ideas?

thanks.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: solid pool cover maintenance?

303 Aerospace protectant is UV protection.
    Also Natural Chemistry makes a cover cleaner product that attaches to a garden hose and dispenses a cleaning agent.
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

3. Back To Top    #3

While cleaning a cover is some benefit to a solid vinyl safety cover, not all are equal in durability when exposed to the sun and snow loads. Some dry out faster than others resulting in faster aging. Armour All type products don't do much when storing a cover. Most of the aging is occurring when the cover is over the pool.

Scott
    Owner of - PoolGuyNJ LLC
    Expert Pool and Spa Repairs, Renovations, and Augmentation. Helping people decide what is the right gear for meeting their needs. Expectations Set, Expectations Met, No Surprises.

4. Back To Top    #4

My experience is that solid covers often fail after only a couple of years, even if you get one of the more expensive kinds. If the creases don't crack something else goes wrong, at least for me, so I never bother with that kind of thing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by JasonLion
    My experience is that solid covers often fail after only a couple of years, even if you get one of the more expensive kinds. If the creases don't crack something else goes wrong, at least for me, so I never bother with that kind of thing.

Do you cover your pool? I thought about getting a solid pool cover, but after reading many negatives reviews, I am beginning to have second thoughts.
    I bought a cover last year that came with water tubes. Only problem is it was a little short and didn't cover up the walk in steps. We put a tarp down over the area. It did work....pool was nice and clean upon opening in the spring.
    14,700 gal. 14 x 28 rectangle with 2R IG by Hydra Pools, 1 hp Hayward Maxflow ll, Hayward 24" Sand Filter, Aquarite Electronic SWG, one Aqua Genie Complete Skimmer, two main drains, four returns, 2 spa jets in steps, 30ml Tidewater liner. Taylor K-2006 Test Kit

6. Back To Top    #6

The wind I get here is way too strong. It broke sections of my fence, posts and gate a few times. I don't know if cheap cover with double water bags would do it.
    Bill
    18'X4' 7600 Gal AG
    3/4 HP Pentair Pump
    Hayward S166T 100 lb sand filter