Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: i have a leak in my in ground pool with a spilover spa

1. Back To Top    #1

i have a leak in my in ground pool with a spilover spa

i have a clean and clear 100 filtering system....use chlorine....definite recurring leak at main niche....letting water go down with system off....so far it has seeminly stopped at spa returns where sand use to come out and air bubbles of spa returns....i am in the process now of using 2 part epoxy at the niche and line the niche with it and especially the area where the low voltage wires exit into the conduit and in route to the low voltage light box...any help would greatly appreciated....hope i don't have to dig under the pool or spa...thanks.....i also have an air blower for spa-----does check valve and coupler have to be cemented in placed or can i leave it horizontally in placed by free standing?

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: i have a leak in my in ground pool with a spilover spa

I also have a new leak in my spa. I have an in ground pool with raised spa spilling into the pool. During the hours when the filter is off, the water level of my spa goes down about 6 inches. I have had a leak in my spa niche before, plugged it, and no evidence of water where the light wiring comes to my equipment (where I saw leaking before). There is no other visible evidence of leaking (i.e. no water constantly going out through the drain, no flooded planters, etc).

Where do I start looking?
    Thanks!
    Joe

21k IG vinyl, 300 lb. sand filter, 1hp pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, 3/4hp booster pump, 240sq ft Fafco solar, Liquidator

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

bildpool, more than likely your inline "spring" check valve has become worn or has a small piece of debris that will not pass through, if it is hard plumbed in, it can only be replaced,and not inspected,as it can only be cut out,unlike a union type check valve,which has, on each end, a large threaded nut, that when loosened, allows removal of check valve for inspection, or cleaning,i see this all the time, as a 20 years experienced repair tech,after pool turns off measure where the water line is in pool ,then when you notice it low in spa again(next morning?) check to see if pool level has risen,it should rise,if spa is draining , as spa water loss will fill pool slightly until filter can turn on to refill spa,there are actually several possible types of check valves used,i described two of them, check valve will be located on return manifold where you adjust water that returns back to pool or spa,you hopefully will have a removable one,hope this helps,

4. Back To Top    #4

Hi vtwinbarblaster,
    I turned the valve off for the spa return last night after the filter shut off. Sure enough, the water level in the spa remained the same this morning when I checked (prior to the morning filter startup). I do have a check valve with a clear plastic removable cover. I'll check for debris or wear when I get home. Sounds exactly like the problem.

Thanks for your help!
    Joe

21k IG vinyl, 300 lb. sand filter, 1hp pump, Polaris 280 cleaner, 3/4hp booster pump, 240sq ft Fafco solar, Liquidator

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by bildpool
    Hi vtwinbarblaster,
    I turned the valve off for the spa return last night after the filter shut off. Sure enough, the water level in the spa remained the same this morning when I checked (prior to the morning filter startup). I do have a check valve with a clear plastic removable cover. I'll check for debris or wear when I get home. Sounds exactly like the problem.

Thanks for your help!
    Thanks for asking this question because this is a problem I've encountered previously. I'm so new to this, I'm not even sure how different pools are from spas when it comes to filtering. Are there discount places to purchase items such as filters?
    36k gallon, IG, vinyl liner (2007), partial gunite underlay, grecian shape.
    Hayward Star Clear Plus Cartridge Filter, filtration rate: 2GPM/ft2, flow rate: 68GPM.
    Hayward 1.5HP super pump (2012).
    Southwestern Ohio

6. Back To Top    #6

bildpool ~ The check valve you have is a 'Jandy' style check valve and is completely rebuildable. I'd take the top off it first and see if it's just a piece of debris holding it open. Then if you need parts you'll know exactly what you need to buy.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit