Filter Passes Fine Debris

jimp

Sep 21, 2011
Since I installed this pool I have had a problem with pollen/atmospheric debris. Some weeks are worse than others. Regardless, I have tried brushing same into the water so that the filter will catch same but the filter ends up blowing the majority back into the pool. In the beginning I completed some really overdosed CH shocks to but it really never affected this issue.

A neighbor has had the same issue (to a lesser degree) and he has a 4 - cartridge filter system. He claims that his cartridges hold what is vacuumed. I my pool a bypass to waster vacuum takes 6+" of water and then I have to rebalance. The pool store has suggested that I install a downstream 100 sq. ft. cartridge filter to catch what passes the sand filter.

Will this work? Is 100 sq. ft. too small for my 2hp motor (2 return jets)? Any alternative suggestions?

I have attached a picture of the last week's buildup (bad week - downwind of pollinating cypress tree).

Thank you in advance.
[attachment=0:3nmq8pwc]DSC02684.JPG[/attachment:3nmq8pwc]

Attachments

• DSC02684.JPG
    DSC02684.JPG
    149.5 KB · Views: 98
You could try adding a skimmer sock to the skimmer basket and add a little DE to the sand filter to help trap suspended pollen. Pollen is going to shed into the pool until whatever is blooming is finished, so you may be seeing fresh accumulations of pollen after you vacuum.

I have not tried a sock yet. I did not know that the material was fine enough to catch this type of material.

When I do stir up the accumulation same is back the next day. If I backwash very little of the material is in the flow.

How much DE should I add for this size filter for same to be effective and will the addition add to future filter maintenance?

What do you think of the cartridge filter idea (will try the sock and DE 1st)?

That looks an awful lot like algae to me. Before you spend a lot of time chasing a filter issue, can you post test results, particularly FC and CYA?

A properly working sand filter isn't going to pass that much back through without catching some, so if it's not algae, you may have an issue with your filter. Your pump is enormous for your pool size, and it may be too large for your filter, which can result in debris being pushed through.

Parroting what johnT said, that looks like algae to me, too.

Most "filter" problems posted on the forum are, in fact, water quality issues and are unrelated to the filter.

An exception to that is probably Intex filters which are notoroiusly undersized and don't have the capacity to keep many pools clean.

Taylor 2006

By teh way I have discovered some issues since the posting with teh help of Waterway.

When the pool was installed they put in 250# of sand. This is a 400# sand filter. Also, per the manufacturer high should only be used with dispersing chemicals and vacuuming.

Thank to all for taking your time to help me. I expect to be back soon as I am refining my maintenance practices per the education I have received from your site but will be adding borates and I am heading towards BBB.

Thanks again.

Jim

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.