Winterizing Return Plug Outside Pool, is that ok?

clarkekv

Gold Supporter
Jun 1, 2011
In NY winterizing an above ground pool, I can't get the inside return piece off to put in my return winterizing plug, is it OK to have the winterizing return plug outside the pool?

[attachment=0:3ajde6j2]winterizing_plug_outside.jpg[/attachment:3ajde6j2]

I most cases that is fine. There is some risk if that plug is below water level and the pool freezes solid down to the level of the fitting. If that happens the return fitting will get embedded into the block of ice, and if the ice shifts it can damage the return fitting. If you can get the return fitting off, only the plug is at risk of being damaged, which is a much more minor issue.

Have you tried using a strap wrench to remove the return fitting? Usually that will take care of it fairly easily.

Thanks for your feedback. I agree the physics of keeping it outside wouldn't be your best scenairo, you want ice to push that winter plug further into the return and not pop it out.

I put a piece of the vinyl cover (cut out from skimmer install (I have no idea why I still had this ;-)) and screwed that between the inner return piece I was attempting to get out and the return ball cover. I then was able to unscrew both pieces (of course now I can't get these 2 pieces separated and vinyl cover out but I have all winter to do that ;-). No I didn't have a strap wrench, will go pick that up now. Thanks again, this site rules !!!

[attachment=0:tg118uci]rigup_to_remove.jpg[/attachment:tg118uci]

Attachments

• rigup_to_remove.jpg
    rigup_to_remove.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 113
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.