Doughboy removal and reinstallation

johndoe

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 30, 2011
Hi, longtime reader and 1st time poster here! My family past the AGP test this season and as my winter project this year am considering semi burial of a doughboy. As luck would have it I have a friend of a friend who wants their 15x24' doughboy removed. It is currently set up completely above ground, I don't know the exact age, liner is 2 years old and has a newish pump and hayward sand filter...

In my backyard 15x24 is pushing it, trees, is it possible to leave out a section and shrink to 12x24? Can I reuse the liner or should I start fresh? I'm not sure on the depth of this pool yet. I would like to bury all except maybe 16", 2 courses of cinderblock. And include a foot or 2 of deep end. Additionally I might like to attach/tie in my spa with a waterfall. Anyone with pics of something similar? I'm just getting into my research phase so any guidance would be appreciated. I work in construction, hvac, plumbing and electrical, and am familiar with lots of tools and ideas, I hope I can do it all myself.

I'm sure the experts will be around soon to answer some of your questions. I too want a 12x24 semi inground some day. Here is what I have learned in my research.

The burial has to be 2 or 4 feet deep for structural support. My local installer said 3 feet was a no go.

The 15 foot width can't be changed and be aware of the support buttresses, that will add 2 feet on each end making it 19 feet.

If the liner is more than season old you will need to install a new one. The old liner will not have the elasticity to fit the pool when you set it up again.

Lots of help here for you. Search some old posts you will find many of your answers. You will have luck in the above ground pool section.

Thanks for the quick response. Here's a pic. Upon further discussion, I've found the pool is about 10yrs old. He said he installed it himself, and there aren't any buttresses rather an internal footing the pool sits on. I assumed I would need to overdig for plumbing, adjustments for layout and just some room to work. I don't really understand why 2' or 4' but not 3'. If digging goes well, which it probably won't, I'd just soon bury it all the way.

Attachments

• doughboy.jpg
    doughboy.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 170
Your install can be DIY. Since you will need a new liner and other things I would try to find a local Doughboy store with install experience in your area. Buy your stuff from them if they will walk you through the process and inform you of perils and pit falls.

I don't think the buttresses on the side of the pool are included in the 15 foot width. Obviously what ever you get make sure you gave ample room for it.

okay, I watched all the doughboy installation videos this weekend. I see why it the excavation needs to be wider and why it probably cant be made skinnier. I'd still like to see others' experience with tying an inground with a seperate spa or cinderblock retaining walls around semi ingrounds and of course pics! Whatever you can send me I'll absorb! Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.