Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bubbles....leak or swg working

1. Back To Top    #1
    Tampa, FLorida

Bubbles....leak or swg working

Just had the SWG isntalled on Thursday, the pump is primed and has no bubbles in it , however at the returns I hear a slight gurgling/bubbling and see little bubbles coming out from return and little bubbles sort of stuck around the return eye. Is this the SWG as I have read, or can there be a suction leak somewhere even though the pump is primed full?

15x30 free form (10,500 gal) SWG
    Gunite, Game depth 3.5-5-4 ft, 1 hp Sta-Rite Super Max 2 speed pump, 53' Sta-Rite system 3 DE filter
    Pentair Intellibrite LED
    Pentair 125k BTU ultra temp heat pump,
    Screen Enclosure
    TF-100 Test Kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    Lakeland, FL

Re: Bubbles....leak or swg working

It sounds like it may be the SWCG if there are no bubbles in the pump basket. I don't think it would be a suction leak if there is no air in the basket.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Sacramento, Ca

My Swg bubbles like crazy when it generating chlorine.
    30,000 gallon in ground pool, Jandy 1400 SWG, Jandy valves and controls, Sta rite cartridge filter, Just added solar panels and Starite Inellipro variable speed pump

I spent a lot of money on drag racing, good whiskey, and expensive cigars. The rest of my money I just wasted.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Silver Spring, MD

SWG produce bubbles. Sometimes they are very small and difficult to see, other times they are more obvious. If there are bubbles when the SWG is active and no bubbles when the SWG is off, then everything is normal.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Turn off the SWG for a few minutes and see if the bubbles go away. Quick-n-easy peace of mind.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

6. Back To Top    #6
    Nassau, Bahamas

tryu cutting the pump off and feel for leaks around the pipes. I've found a few very small leaks like this. when the pump is on this very small leak sucked air and caused bubbles. also maybe its time to change your valves. these eventually wear and start sucking air. I've found 90% of the time this was the cause of the bubbles.

7. Back To Top    #7

I had an air leak caused by a split o-ring on the drain plug at the bottom of the pump basket. Caused all kinds of gurgling on the returns until I found it and replaced the o-ring. There was no air accumulating at the top of the pump basket but when I looked closely I could see very tiny bubbles coming up from the bottom of the pump basket and getting sucked right into the pump. This led me to check the drain plug.

I agree with others here...see what is happening when the swg is off. If there is no change when it is off, check for leaks.