Hayward H400 Heater HELP!!

May 26, 2011
Pa
hi everyone, I have posted here before about my Hayward H400 pool heater. I have had issues all summer - and I was just told by local pool company that I need two boards ($600 for both, PLUS labor) to fix it. They said if that doesn't work, they will credit me and find the fix.

I want to let everyone know that I live in Eastern PA, and we have had a TON of rain here....so its funny that when I called Hayward direct for consumer help = they told me to take a hairdryer to it to dry it out???? Does that make sense????

Here are my issues - it would work great when it was dry - when it was rainy/damp/humid - not so much. I always flip the breaker switch (we have had trespassers!) and when I turn it on 3 things happen:
1. It fires perfectly and runs like a champ
2. It cycles through and I get a CE code
3. I get no power to it at all.

Now, I did replace the Display board in June, and it worked great for about a month.

Then I got errors or no power again. But wait, I waited 24hrs - and presto it worked perfectly!!!

Now, as I am cleaning all the leaves out of my pool - I noticed water coming from underneath the heater!!!

So I need your help - do I spend the $600 to $800 to have the pool company replace the boards, and fix the leak???

Or do I can it for next season and buy a new one????

this heater was installed 4 years ago!!

Thanks for your help and advice! :grrrr:

Kristen

This sounds like a loose wire between the boards.

The hair dryer idea may have some merit if there is moisture grounding out a lead that normally carries voltage, but would be temporary until the next rain. Find where the rain is getting to the board, seal it, dry the connections and that should do it. I doubt the boards are bad. They work when it hasn't been raining.

Scott

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.