Have to buy a new pump

AnnaK

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 15, 2007
Eastern Pennsylvania
The old one is dead. We took it apart as far as we could and found that the shaft won't turn. It's a seven-seasons-old AOS Century Flex 48 1.5 HP 2-speed, model 340206.

We've decided to get a Pentair Dynamo 1HP Dual Speed 11.0/2.9A 115V - model 340204. The online vendor is PoolSupplyWorld.com.

Have any of you ever dealt with the seller? Would you share your experience please? They offer free shipping and no tax and have a 20% restocking fee. Their price for this pump is $244.

Thanks for your input!

In need of a new pump myself and need recommendations. Have an above ground with 18,000 gallons. Which would you all prefer? Currently have a Jacuzzi 1.5HP.

Why the difference between above ground and inground pumps. My pool is in the ground 2.5' .
Thinking of a:
Pentair Dynamo, Superflo, Whisperflo
Hayward Super 2 Pump, Maxflo

You need to read pool school about PUMPS.

In short - a pump that will work fine for an inground pool needs to be "self-priming" and can be placed above the top of the water level. An Above Ground pump needs to be placed so that the water level is above the pump so the water drains into the pump for priming.

A self priming pump will be fine for an above ground, but the non-self priming pump should not be used for most inground pools. There are exceptions, depending on how it was constructed, of course.

As a point of reference - when my Hayward Super Pump 1.5 HP pump died at the end of June, I used a 3/4 HP Hayward PowerFlo II (without a strainer) for 2 weeks while I decided what i was going to get for a replacement. If I would have known I could have gotten the strainer for the PowerFlo - I might not have even bothered with the replacement that I got.

Selecting a pool pump can be seriously confusing. HP, Service Factor, Flow Rate, Head Loss . . . yeah, they forget exploding heads. There's a lot of information online, just Google "swimming pool pump sizing" and make friends with a hydraulics engineer.

Our 1.5 HP was too big for the volume. I ran it mostly on low and it did an excellent job filtering for 6 hours every 24. The impact on my electrical bill was not noticeable given that we also ran the air conditioners and fans during the summer. I used the high speed for vacuuming (great suction) and backwashing. We did have to buy new filter gaskets each season and I suspect that was due to the pump being oversized for the filter.

I dropped to a 1 HP because I learned from various charts and graphs that it provides the same suction at high speed as the 1.5 HP. Vacuuming should not be affected. I may have to run it longer for filtering at low speed but I don't think the extra couple of hours will add much to the electric bill.

We selected the Pentair Dynamo because it was what we found in a 1 HP dual speed and the price is right.

I'm impressed!

We ordered the pump on Monday, it was shipped Wednesday, and FedEx Ground just now delivered it, on Thursday. Can you guess what our Saturday project will be? :)

The vendor is poolsupplyworld.com.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.