Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Umbrella Mounts in Concrete??

1. Back To Top    #1

Umbrella Mounts in Concrete??

Question for pool owners and/or builders:

When installing openings to insert umbrellas around pool in concrete, what is the recommended approach? Same as ladder anchor, or PVC or ??

Pool builder has never done this and hopefully Monday is the pour.

Thanks,

Ted

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Umbrella Mounts in Concrete??

Through multiple google searches and this site, I was able to find the Waterway Plastics umbrella holder assembly 5400-6700. Thanks!

3. Back To Top    #3

I used 12" long pieces of 1 1/2 pvc with an end cap on the bottom. I also put a female threaded end on the top so I could install a flat cap when not in use. I could only find flush top caps at ACE hardware. Neither H.D. or Lowes had flush caps in 1 1/2 size. I drilled a couple 1/8 holes in the bottoms so it drains water. Sorry I don.t have any pics, but they looked like a bunch of PVC pipe bombs.
    Not quite as slick as the Waterway ones but if you are pouring this Monday you might not have time to get those.
    Best of luck,
    John
    "Experience is what you get, just after you needed it."

Owner DIY build, steel/liner kit, 18x36 Deer Creek, sport depth, approx 17,500 gal,
    Aqua Plus SWG, 1 1/2 hp, 2 speed, 300# sand filter and twin Color logic 4.0s, MX-8 Cleaner.
    My DIY Pool Build

4. Back To Top    #4

That will be my backup. Thanks John!

5. Back To Top    #5

I found a link to the entire catalog. Hope this will help
    http://www.waterwayplastics.com/catalog ... 5_misc.pdf

Part -#540-6700 Volleyball Pole Holder Assembly.
    10,000 gallons IG Freeform, 8ft raised spa,pebble finish
    FNS 60 Sqft DE Filter,2HP Whisperflow for Pool/Spa filtering
    2HP Whisperflow for Spa jets
    1HP Whisperflow for Waterfall
    Master Temp 400,000 Btu Heater

6. Back To Top    #6

I also used 1 1/2" PVC and it works fine.
    The caps are a great idea. Water got down in my sleeves and caused the wooden umbrella pole to swell. I could not get it out - had to saw it off and use a spade bit
    to get the rest of the umbrella pole out of the sleeve.

SF
    =====================================
    17K gallon IG freeform Pebble-Tec pool w/ raised spa/waterfall, Hayward 6020 DE filter, Tristar 1 HP circulation pump, Tristar 2.5 HP spa pump, Silencer 2hp blower, Aquarite SWG, Polaris 280 w/ booster pump, Hayward Universal H-Series 400K LPG heater, Ultrapure Ozonator 25, Aqualogic PS-8

7. Back To Top    #7

I was faced with the same situation. My PB didn't recommend the Waterway holder for various reasons, so I found this: http://www.pooljewels.com/umbrellastand.html

Good luck.
    29' x 30' in-ground gunite, 20k gallons, superblue quartz finish
    IntelliChlor Salt Chlorinator
    IntelliPro VS+SVRS Variable Speed Pump (3hp)
    Pentair System 3 Cartridge filter (S8M500)
    2 skimmers, 3 wall returns, 3 floor returns, 2 drains
    StaRite Max E-Therm 400k BTU gas heater
    2 Deck jets
    SR Smith Turbo Twister slide

8. Back To Top    #8

Wondering what the various reasons were? I can't see it being any worse that straight 1.5" PVC and is a cleaner finish with cap, but I am far from any experience with them.

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ragu
    I was faced with the same situation. My PB didn't recommend the Waterway holder for various reasons, so I found this: http://www.pooljewels.com/umbrellastand.html

Good luck.
    Love the look of the pool jewels umbrella stand. Did you go with these? If so, would love to hear how they are working for you.
    18k, 2001 Ft. Wayne 18'x36' oval sport pool with polymer walls, IG, vinyl, 3.5' at ends and 5' in center, Pentair 1 1/2 hp 2-speed pump (new in 2014), Hayward S-200 Sand Filter, new Raypak RP2100 propane heater (installed 4/2013), 3 jets, 1 floor drain, 1 Polaris jet (never used), 2 skimmers, new Garrett liner (installed 4/2012)

10. Back To Top    #10

I drilled a hole in the bottom of my Waterway holders so when water got in, it drained. Problem solved.