Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Do I need a main drain?

1. Back To Top    #1

Do I need a main drain?

Rehabbing 20X40 vinyl pool. One Pool company said i dont need main drain remove it. The other said its the only way to cirulate water in deep end. Not sure depth of deep end maybe 8- 9 ft. I have 2 skimmers and 4 returns. leaning towards no main drain due to cost savings Any thoughts? will i have trouble keeping pool clean/clear without main?

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: Do I need a main drain?

It is nice for a few things, but you don't absolutely need it. If you have an automatic cleaner that runs regularly, I wouldn't be concerned at all.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

3. Back To Top    #3
    Cincinnati, OH

Re: Do I need a main drain?

I don't have one installed and the only issue I get is minor dirt bugs that sink down there. Nothing a quick vacuum can't pick up.
    I'm sure it would be nice to drain the pool at the end of the season, but I use an external pump for that.

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit