Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: high pitch whining sound from pump

1. Back To Top    #1

high pitch whining sound from pump

People,

Just wondering- I just had my pump fitted with a new bearing say, 3-4 months ago, and sheesh, sounds like it may have failed already. Motor is making a loud high-ish pitch whining sound. It is still pumping OK, for now. Does it look like that bearing may have failed again?

Im mad at that shop, if so......

Thanks
    16,000 gal in ground, marcite. FL.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: high pitch whining sound from pump

yep sounds like a bad bearing

3. Back To Top    #3

Did they replace the seal when they replaced the bearing? Otherwise you might have gotten a bad bearing.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

4. Back To Top    #4

Thanks, people, for the confirmation. I will return it to them and let em have it. Bearing gone bad.

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, how much longer can a pump pump with bad bearing, you figure?

6. Back To Top    #6

If you can return it that may be best. Less hassle for you and a shorter down time. Also you'll save it from burning out the windings.
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

7. Back To Top    #7

Update: wow, it was the bearing on the front side. replaced it with help from a friend. Now, connected it up and no more whining sound, but a leak developed (may have been there before?) - it is right between the motor case and where it mee3ts the front square aluminum flange. Is that the white teflon seal? Geez, should have replaced it while it was on the bench......

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

yup, always good idea to replace the seals an o-rings anytime you open it up

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    yup, always good idea to replace the seals an o-rings anytime you open it up
    thanks, db, so that means there is probably no other reason (other than that seal) I would have a leak in that area, correct?
    Thanks, Man.

10. Back To Top    #10

In the Industry

most likely, yes. Please inspect for cracks also

11. Back To Top    #11

Quote Originally Posted by DBfan187
    most likely, yes. Please inspect for cracks also
    Thanks very much, DB!! Time to yank the pump......again!

12. Back To Top    #12

OK, yanked the pump and popped out the seal. Not sure which to buy- Im sure they are not all the same size. My ceramic seal is ID 17mm. AND, not sure if this is right, but is this seal supposed to fit snugly onto the motor shaft? This seal fits over it but with much play/slop. 28mm is OD of the seal. How does one shop for these?

Thanks,
    People

13. Back To Top    #13

In the Industry

what pump is it?

14. Back To Top    #14

Well, the pump is a GE marathon 3/4 HP Stk # C 1244 (square aluminum flange), but I understand what matters is not the pump, but the plastic/fiberglass impeller assembly, as the seal sits into that.

15. Back To Top    #15

In the Industry

I would need to know what pump you have to figure that out, what you have listed there is the motor. Now that tells me it's a square flange, but I'd still need to know what pump it is, say the brand is a Hayward, Pentair, Starite, Jandy, Jacuzzi, ect... and then whatever model it is under that brand.

16. Back To Top    #16

OK, DB. All I can see is that the valve is Hayward vari- flow, and the filter is a tagelus sand, and there is no name stamped on the black impeller/basket unit. Isnt that stratnge- no name on that? Sorry, but thats all I can tell. Only other thing I can measure, if it helps, is the OD of the motor shaft- 0.625".

Does ID of seal have to be snug to the shaft, or have slop/play?

17. Back To Top    #17

In the Industry

and chance you can get a pic of the pump?

18. Back To Top    #18

hehe, I was a scared you would ask that...LOL Im no good at pictures, but Im learning/trying to practice. I did learn though, DB, that it is a sta rite pump (a local p;lace figured it out), and he suggested a seal, the S200, and offered me a return if it didnt fit- it fitted! Im gonna write this down in my file so I wont have to guess in the future, DB. Still, I appreciate your personal concern/effort to help a fellow member. Thanks, Man. Oh, I will let you know if it actually stops the leak asap........

19. Back To Top    #19

OK, so now, after al that, still have a leak- its clearly at the bottom where the 2 big circles meet. Probably the big 12" diameter or so O ring? Cant see any other culprit, so I will remove, lubricate again, and start it again.....

20. Back To Top    #20

In the Industry

You're welcome! I'd also suspect the volute o-ring also. If by chance it's is flat or squared off on the edges/sides. You should replace it with a new, round one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast