Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Main power disconnect to be outside?

1. Back To Top    #1

Main power disconnect to be outside?

I am in process of installing pool where I am responsible for electric setup.
    I am mounting my InteliTouch control box inside the basement and the equipment will be on the other side of the wall. I am reading that there should be main power disconnect accessible in the pool equipment area.
    True? Good idea?
    IG double roman vinyl 40x20. 35000 gal. 9' deep. Diving board.Pentair 400HD gas heater, ItelliFlow Variable Flow pump, 520 cartridge filter, two pentair G5 lights, IC60 SWG cell.
    Photo album: http://slava.no-ip.org/~poolpic/photo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Main power disconnect to be outside?

I have no idea about building codes, but it does seem like a good idea. If something goes wrong at the poolside, you want to be able to stop it now.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

yeah its code for new construction. It's also a good idea too. You might want to install a GFCI outlet near the pad too for your winterizing equipment
    -Kevin
    X-Pert Pool Service
    x-pertpool.com
    X-Pert Pool on Facebook and @XPertPoolServic on Twitter
    22,000 gal / 16' x 32' / Vinyl / Hayward s244t /Pentair SuperFlo 1 hp

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by X-PertPool
    yeah its code for new construction. It's also a good idea too. You might want to install a GFCI outlet near the pad too for your winterizing equipment
    Thank you guys. GFCI is very good idea. As far as main disconnect, can I use pull type usually found on outside AC units? or there some other type i should be using?
    IG double roman vinyl 40x20. 35000 gal. 9' deep. Diving board.Pentair 400HD gas heater, ItelliFlow Variable Flow pump, 520 cartridge filter, two pentair G5 lights, IC60 SWG cell.

5. Back To Top    #5

It needs to be easily accessible, within sight of the equipment, and at least 5 feet from the water. It also needs to disconnect all non-grounded wires.

A plug/socket is acceptable most places.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

How is it normally done? with a brakers?
    I only see sub pannels at the pool sites. Anybody have a picture for reference?

7. Back To Top    #7

There are lots of ways of doing this. When there is a sub-panel out by the equipment the main breaker in the sub-panel can usually count as a shutoff. Otherwise you can use a normal switch, or something more obvious like this one.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

8. Back To Top    #8

Depending on the circumstances, it might be best to have the emergency cut-off switch be a simple on/off switch that goes to a main relay.