Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2" plumbing?

1. Back To Top    #1

2" plumbing?

I’m beginning an extensive remodel of my pool, and having the plumbing loop replaced is planned. I currently have 1.5” lines, but recall reading here that 2” is better. I don’t remember what benefit that earns me, though. Is it just the ability to move the water faster and thereby run the pump a shorter amount of time, or is there something else I’m not remembering?

Thanks in advance!
    20k white plaster with blue quartz, IntelliFlo VS, Quad DE 100
    1000 gal spa with natural stone waterfall
    Beach entry with 2 bubblers. Pool built Spring 2013

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2" plumbing?

Right, larger pipes have less resistance to flow, so more water moves though the pipe per minute, so you end up running the pump for a shorter total time, which saves electricity. The price difference for larger pipe and fittings is very small, so even though you don't save all that much it is still worth doing.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Using 2 1/2" from your skimmer will further improve things as less system pressure uses less electricty to push the water through. Mind you a moot point when you have a big 2hp pump. Look at what Jason uses for roughly the same size pool, unless you have extra toys connected to yours.

4. Back To Top    #4

Thank you, Jason and Teapot. Thinking about this last night I began to wonder if switching to 2” would affect my return jets and skimmer, that is to say, will the larger pipe require new return jets and skimmer?

Thanks for the tip on running 2.5” from the skimmer. I’m thinking my main drain stays 1.5”, yes? Or is there any benefit to increasing the pipe size mid run? Also, I’m having all equipment replaced, so I will be getting a more efficient pump. Recommendations welcome!
    20k white plaster with blue quartz, IntelliFlo VS, Quad DE 100
    1000 gal spa with natural stone waterfall
    Beach entry with 2 bubblers. Pool built Spring 2013

5. Back To Top    #5

You can upgrade or leave in place each piece of pipe or fitting separately. The more you upgrade to a larger size, the more benefit you receive. Therefore, leaving in your current skimmer and return fittings is fine. Likewise, replacing what you can easily reach of the main drain piping will help. As a general rule, I would only upgrade parts that need replacement anyway for some other reason.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School