Floated liner, what should I do?

May 17, 2009
NC
My pool has been leaking pretty bad. I let the CYA get above 100 back in July due to my laziness, then the vari-flow valve gasket blew out twice, the second time only a week after replacing it, so I replaced the whole valve hoping to fix the leak, but it did not fix the leak. I have been troubleshooting the leak using food color, but I believe the liner itself is leaking. The liner seems to have tiny black pits in the deep end, I suspect I damaged it with the high CYA. So anyway I was troubleshooting the leak as the summer was winding down, I lost about 12 inches of water while looking for leaks over the period of a couple weeks. Then hurricane Irene came along and filled the pool overnight. All this time the water is clear and I'm swimming daily. After Irene the level continued to drop again, and I continued to look for the leak. Then last week we have a ton of rain in a couple days and the liner floated. The water level was about 12 inches low when it floated, then the water turned green...Good thing the swimming season is over...

What should I do to my pool before I close it down for the winter?

Will the water on the back side of the liner damage the pool walls if I leave it floated?

Thanks in advance!

How much of a problem you are going to have depends on if and how far the liner moved. If it just pushed out from the walls along the upper edge it can be gotten back into place with a little brushing. But if the floor has shifted it can be a major project (and not always possible) to get it back into place.

It is mostly just leaning away from the walls, with one wrinkle angled towards the steps in the shallow end. I dont think it will be to hard to get it back in place. My big concern is if i leave it like it is for the winter, will it do more damage from the water soaking into the walls and floor?

I would'nt be surprized it the liner gets replaced in the spring due to the leak. I want to prevent further damage to the pool walls and floor. I would like to know if I should take action now?

Thanks!

The risk to the liner depends on what the ground water level does. The most likely possibility is that that ground water level will go down and stay down over the winter. But if there is a lot more rain and the ground water level goes up above where it is now there could be additional problems with the liner. The rest of the pool should be fine in any case.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.