Hayward heater H100ID thermostat installation

Sep 27, 2011
At the end of the season our heater started to leak around the thermostat. On further investigation, I cannot determine what holds and seals the thermostat into the heater manifold. I can pull the thermostat out of the manifold and reinsert it but there is no evidence of anything that seals it into the manifold so I don't know how to fix it. Any help out there?

Thanks, I know the bulb isn't leaking. The manifold is not leaking. The water is coming out around the bulb because there is nothing to seal the bulb into the opening in the manifold where the bulb resides. I'm missing something, just don't know what.

The bulb sits in a well in the header normally. There may or may not be thermal paste for improved heat transfer, usually not.

The H100 is the smalled gas fired unit Hayward makes, AFAIK. It has a different design than everything other gas heater Hayward made for the last 15 years. I don't see them much since I primarily work on I/G pools and this unit is meant for AGPs and spas.

It may be getting it's temp readings via contact with the intake, wouldn't surprise me a bit. If this is the case, and you see water, it's likely condensation. Every other gas fired pool heater I have worked has had a well that the bulb sits in, The well makes contact with the incoming water and the bulb makes contact or is in close enough proximity that little heat is lost and the thermostat can make a reasonably accurate reading.

Scott

The link will show all the parts of the thermostat assembly. The bulb fits LOOSELY into the opening in the heat exchanger and this is what I am talking about in my post. Water gushes out of the opening when the pool pump is on. I do not know what the piece is that looks like a pen clip. Something has to seal the bulb in the heat exchanger and this is what I don't understand. By the way, this heater does a great job on my 24' inground.
http://www.parts4heating.com/PhotoDetai ... IDXTST1930

The bulb well is threaded into the header. If water is coming out, then the bulb well is damaged or the threads need to be resealed. The bulb well needs to be unscrewed and examined. If it is damaged, then it should be replaced. If it is intact, then it can be rethreaded into the heater using Teflon tape or thread sealant to seal the threads.

The bulb sits in the well and is not sealed. The pen clip is a retaining clip to hold the bulb securely in the well.

I think that the bulb well part number is HAXTBW1930 (Bulb Well, Cotherm)

CHXTBW1930.jpg

http://www.1800pools.com/CHXTBW1930_Hay ... _Well.html

http://www.hayward-pool.com/pdf/Parts%2 ... Series.pdf

Thanks for the reply, however. there is nothing that resembles the bulb well nor a place for it in my heat exchanger. The opening that the thermostat bulb slides into is perfectly smooth on the inside and very thin, to thin to thread. Any one have a photo of what the assembled parts look like?

Like I said, the H100 is a different beast.

Are you sure it isn't condensation? As I said, the drawings I have in two different Hayward parts books don't show the well most of use are used to seeing. I have to assume it has some clip to press it against the water feed from the filter. If there is a leak there, it's be at the clip or a dribbling from a leaking heat exchanger/manifold.

Scott

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.