Cyanuric Acid question

Jun 6, 2011
I have zero CYA in my pool.
I bought granulated CYA and put it in a sock in the skimmer and left the pool pump running as recommended in the TFP pool school.
I noticed that the granules seemed to have hardly dissolved at all. They are completely submerged and the pump is running.
Is this common?
Do i need to keep the pump running untill all the cya is dissolved?
Help please...I'm just getting my pool into balance and need to get some CYA in there.

Re: Cyanuric Acid questio

It takes a while, but goes faster if you squeeze the sock every now and then. If you really want to get CYA in there quickly, you can buy the liquid ($$) or use dichlor powder to chlorinate for a little while.

I've always just dumped mine in the skimmer and let it get caught in the filter. That way I don't have to worry about how fast or slow it seems to dissolve.

thanks for the replies.
I tried using a thinner sock and this morning it was practically empty, so I'm now confident that there is cya in the pool.
Funny but it is barely registering. I used about a pound and a half for a 6600 gal pool...My rough estimates tell me that should be a level of about 15-20 ppm.
I saw in the pool school that it can take a week for the cya to show in a test. I don't understand that, but it's easier to raise the level than it is to lower it, so I'm not going to add any more until a week has gone by from the original treatment.

Trust in that last statement. In 5 days or so you will see it showing up. Go with the number the pool calculator gave you for now for your FC levels. Don't bother testing for the next few days....it will show zero.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.