Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Loss of Free Chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

Loss of Free Chlorine

I am having a problem with the loss of FC. I will bring up the Chlorine to 4.0 using bleach and the next day there is no FC at all in the pool. This just started about a month ago. Something is eating my FC. Water is clear. Since we have had a lot of rain over the past month, I have had to add CYA twice. I had to pump off about 6 to 8 inches of water in the past month. I figure that is where the CYA went.
    Here are my current readings, pool store readings and Goal.
    TF100 Tests Pool Store Tests Goal Readings
    FC 0 0 4
    CC 0 0 0
    TC 0 0 4
    Ph 7.6 7.6 7.5
    TA 80 80 100
    CH 240 270 260
    CYA 50 75 80 (according to Aquarite)
    SALT 3120 2900 3200

Pool calculator says to do the following:
    Add 83 oz of 6% bleach
    Add 3.1 oz Muratic Acid
    Add 47 oz baking soda
    Add 30 oz calcium chloride
    Add 7 lbs salt

This is the first time I have had an SWG. Ran the diagnostics for what it is worth they seem to be ok. No lights on the Aquarite other than normal operation. Checked right at the return and there is chlorine being generated. I have the Aquarite set to 50%. Used the pool calculator for TF100 results and not the pool store results. The CYA measuments are way different. Did the test twice with another set of eyes. It still comes out to 50.

What is your opinion of the pool calculator suggestions? Should I super chlorinate ? Should I clean the cell? I just do not understand why I am lossing FC over night? Are my goal settings OK?

Sorry for the multiple questions.
    1: 10,000 gals in the ground plaster, Hayward pump SP2715X20 2hp
    2: Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator / T-Cell-15, Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter Model DE3620
    3: AquaCal Heat Pump, Astrlite SP0580S Under Water Light
    4: Port PolarisCaretaker, TFTestKit-100

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Loss of Free Chlorine

Right now there is something using up all your chlorine, most likely ammonia. You need to shock the pool until you can hold an FC level overnight, which will burn off whatever it is that is using up your chlorine.

The Pool Calculator isn't really suggesting anything. You need to setup the target levels based on what you want to do. Those "recommendations" are simply using whatever happens to be in the target levels. Right now your PH TA CH and Salt levels are all find, so there is no point in adjusting them. CYA should be higher for use with a SWG (trust your own readings, not the pool store readings), but don't raise CYA until you are done shocking the pool.

Nothing you have said suggests any problem with your SWG. Once you get things sorted out the SWG will most likely be able to maintain things from there.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Again using the pool calculator it recommends 415 oz to raise the FC to 20. Is this correct?
    2: Aqua Rite Electronic Chlorine Generator / T-Cell-15, Hayward Pro-Grid DE Filter Model DE3620

4. Back To Top    #4

Schocking the pool FC curently at 26. Will leaqve the pump on all night and check in the morning. Thanks for the help. Will let you know what FC is in the morning.

5. Back To Top    #5

19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

6. Back To Top    #6

Morning FC = 12. Added more bleach and brought it back up to 24. Will monitor it through out the day.

7. Back To Top    #7

Sounds like you're getting the hang of this!
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!