Proposed new build in Richmond, TX

wdavis111

LifeTime Supporter
Sep 19, 2011
Richmond, TX
Pool Size
Wanted to get your feedback on our proposed new build before we sign on the dotted line. PB is proposing:

38x23.5' play pool 3.5/4.5/6.5
110 ft perimeter
692 sq foot pool area
28,000 gallons
40 sq ft spa with 6 jets
Gunite shell (6-7 sack mix)
Flagstone coping & walls
Beadcrete Pebble finish
Color Logic LED lights (2 in pool/1 in spa)
Hayward equipment
- 425 Sq Ft Cartridge Filter <<< now upgraded to 525
- 1.5 HP Tristar filter pump <<< now upgraded to 1.5 HP Tristar 2 speed
- 3/4 HP waterfall pump
- Aqua Logic PS8 w/Wireless Aqua-Pod
- 400,000 BTU Low NOX Heater
- Goldline Salt System
Polaris 480 pool cleaner
AutoFill
2 skimmers/4 surface returns
3 12" skupper waterfalls
6x11 tanning ledge with bubbler
812 sq ft peagravel decking with flagstone runners
4 foot flagstone faced gas firepit
Sprinkler reroute
Arched cedar arbor for future outdoor kitchen build

This is a first build for us, so we could use your expertise. Thanks mucho!

g0F5c.jpg

That is a very nice looking pool!!!!

I didn't see a variable speed pump in there and would ask why. I think in the long run, it would help on electrical costs. And if they are building the pad for the BBQ area, make sure they run the gas and have at least an electrical outlet there. You never know what you wanna hook up to listen to, cool, etc over there. That is, just in case it's not in your build sheet.

That weeping wall will look awesome, especially with the landscaping in the background!!! And is that a table I see in the spa??

Nice choice on the LED lights... We opted for those at the last minute and are NOT second guessing ourselves :) One thing I did not know about those is the cord comes in different lenghts... PB was going to have the lights on the back of pool and spa run to a junction box on my fence and I said no. They have longer length LED lights (cost a hair more) that can be run to the same junction at your equipment. Just a heads up.

Overall, that looks great Walter!!! Who is it you are going with?

Good mornin' @MonkeyAle!

:?: Not sure why PB went with the Tristar instead of a Variable Speed pump, but I can ask.

:!: Nope, no table in the spa... I think what you see in the pic is the small 'step' the PB initially designed to aid grandkids in entering the spa... to be honest, we're still debating whether to include that or not in any final plan.

:idea: As for the lights, yep - that was one of the few things that the wife insisted on from day-one... purdy multi-color LED lights... I foresee many disco-nights to come!

:party: As for the PB of choice, we originally contacted 6 local builders which raised interested replies from 5, and this plan from Pulliam is in our top 3... but we're still weighing our choices and budget and hoping to win the Lotto!

:arrow: Although the outdoor kitchen wasn't in our budget for this season, we definitely wanted to do all we could to prepare for it, so we opted to go ahead and include stubs for both gas and electric and simply have the arbor installed to prevent having to jackhammer anything next year to set posts. Here's a photo of the arbor at another build that sold us.

aYrKG.jpg

I do like that curved top and good work on thinking ahead!!!

We got a quote from Pulliam when we were going through the steps... They made the final 3, but we did end up going with another guy in the end. Their saleman gave us a design that didn't take advantage of our windows/viewpoint as well as not including all the upgrades we were asking for. But it would have been hard to beat the local builder we really liked anyhow. Especially since his wife wanted to babysit our littlest guy each time we were there :)

As for the step into the spa, I would think it would take away from seating area and allowing you to stretch out if you'd like. Not sure how old your grandchildren are, but our 4 year old is able to get in/out of the spa easily and it's raised 18".

I really do like the lenght and broadness of the design too!! That will give you plenty of space in the pool!!

Thanks for the feedback @MonkeyAle...

One of our requests was for a 'large' pool that could take advantage of our very oversized but pie-shaped cul-de-sac lot, and this design allowed for a nice 'length' to the pool that we liked in case anybody wanted to actually try to exercise instead of just soak and drink frosty beverages... :cheers:

Hi @Kerlee... ya know... one PB did indeed talk to us about fire features (other than the firepit) but $$$ only lasted through our 'gotta have' and 'would really like' lists... didn't make it to the 'would sorta be cool' list yet. Come on Lotto!!

Can I ask what kind of quotes you've been getting for this? My proposed pool is about the same perimeter and area; a little deeper and some different options that should give or take themselves to wash out (as far as I can tell).

I've been getting bids in Austin for $70-80k.

Here is a picture of the current favorite. I had to hide all the trees so that you could see the pool. There's a whole line of trees behind the retaining wall (which will keep my back yard from draining into the pool), and on the near side there's a red oak with a 50' diameter canopy. The waterline clears the dripline by just a bit. My distaste for cutting down trees makes for little decking.

The stepped wall the back is a diving platform (and fountain). And yes, there are supposed to be benches in the spa, but they aren't shown.

[attachment=0:2s4oa0j7]pool2.jpg[/attachment:2s4oa0j7]

Attachments

• pool2.jpg
    pool2.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 209
Hi there @BarbJa,

To be honest, we've received bids all the way from the mid $40's to $80k so far, probably because the scope of our project changed as we learned more about the process and what options were available.

:!: Well, we took a look at all the construction proposals that got submitted to us, the mock-ups from 'Pool Studio' that everyone uses, the Texas Lottery website (dangit!! didn't win AGAIN!!), busted open our piggy-bank and counted the nickles and dimes, and finally signed a contract today with Pulliam Pools to do our buildout. Hopefully all the HOA and permit stuff goes well (and quickly) and we can start construction soon. If everything is perfect, maybe we eat our Thanksgiving turkey sandwich in the new pool... :whoot:

:blah: I'll start a separate forum thread for construction once it all begins. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions and comments!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.