Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ph keeps rising

1. Back To Top    #1

Ph keeps rising

I am using the BBB method now and I am constantly having to knock down the PH (daily). This is a new pool about 9 weeks old. Is it normal to have to lower the Ph everyday? I start at 7.4 and by the end of the day its 7.6 to 7.8, if I wait to test every other day its 7.8+. I am adding about 2 quarts a day of liquid bleach to maintain chlorine levels. The pool gets full sun and i have two kids and two labs that swim in it everyday,i know but there is no way to stop them (the dogs that is).
    Thanks in advance!
    FC 8
    CC 0
    ph 7.4
    TA 80
    CH 290
    CYA 70
    Temp 82
    15.5k pool, BBB method used, Plaster in ground pool, DE filter, full sun in Boerne, tx, NO SWG.

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: Ph keeps rising

Yes. Normal.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

If this new pool is plaster, then the curing of that plaster will raise the pH significantly and require lots of acid to compensate. This will slow down over time. You are already over the worst which is in the weeks and few months right after plastering though you will notice this effect for up to a year. You will also notice the CH level rising as the plaster cures.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

4. Back To Top    #4
    Mount Airy, Maryland

I add about 1/4 gallon every 3 days and my pool is just 1 year old. Get used to it. I do have a waterfall from my hot tub so that adds to the muriatic consumption.
    18 x 36 Inground Gunnite, White Plaster 21K gallon
    18" raised spa, 8' Diameter (620 gallon)
    Triton II Sand filter, Intellichlor IC40 SWG
    Pentair Pump, Max-E-Therm 400 BTU
    Lamotte ColorQ PRO 7-Plus test kit
    TFT-100 test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Montgomery, TX

op, funny i also have a 2 month old pool, 2 kids and 2 big labs and i too go through about a gallon of ma per week trying to keep the ph down. finally got my wife to stop running the waterfall constantly and that helped some.