Down to Earth manual vacuum

Jul 3, 2011
Central NC
I'm still contemplating the auto-cleaner for the pool, but I'm going to try a manual one first. The problem is, I can't really find anything out there. And, almost all of the threads here discuss auto-cleaners.

Back in history when I was a child, at home we had a simple device. A hose connected to a pole with a cleaner end on it that you sweep the floor and walls with. Connected to the suction side. This is what I want. I can't find this anywhere for some reason. Searching for "pool cleaner" gets me a wide variety of robots and other mystical and expensive items that seem to be talking about astronomical distances rather than dollars.

Where can I find one of these suckers and how much should I pay? Does anyone even use these anymore? If so, any recommendations?

What you want is a vacuum head. There are ones for vinyl and different ones for plaster. Home Depot, Lowe's, or any pool store should have them in the twenty dollar range.

Thanks all! I didn't realize that I had half of the contraption already. I just needed the vacuum head. LOL. Picked up everything I needed at Lowes today.

robl45 said:
any pool store would have them as well, although why on gods earth you would want to spend your time doing it manually is beyond me.

Well robl45, it's the end of the season and I just now got our pool setup. I just wanted a way to get it clean before closing. I haven't had the chance to do research on the auto cleaners so I'm not sure which one I want yet. It's probably not a bad idea to have a vac head sitting around though just in case your auto cleaner decides to stop working or commit some type of suicide like I've been reading that many eventually do.

The reasons for which I do the things I do is beyond many people, so don't feel left out. To be fair though, I will likely be buying an auto cleaner next year IF I can find one that meets my quizzical function vs. cost equation. Otherwise I'll be the fool vacuuming my pool manually.

Even though we own two auto vacuums ( one robot, one runs off the pump/filter) we still use the manual at least once a week. We often get just a touch if dirt/leaves in the deep end that the auto ones take forever to get. We just grap the manual one and quickly touch it up. I've also had better luck cleaning algea with the manual ones. I'm able to go as slow as I need to avoid stirring up the green stuff.

For $20 I wouldn't not have one.

Richard320 said:
Ten minutes vacuuming once a week while I'm outside smoking anyway versus $600 or more. That's why.

LOL that's a funny post....save 600 bucks...while smoking...bet you've smoked way more than 600 dollars worth of cigarettes!! (or cigars, or pipe tobacco, or whatever you smoke)!!..and please don't think that I am crapping on you in any way...I smoke too...if I had the dollars that I've smoked away I could have all the pool equipment I ever dreamed of, and still have enough money in the bank to just about retire!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.