Simple way to turn on Aquarite with VS pump

amati5

Sep 13, 2011
So Cal
Previously I was thinking about getting the 2-speed pump to simplify the wiring but I really want to cut down the electric bill with VSP (has its own timer). So beside having the Aquarite timed to turn on when the VS pump is on, is there any other choice to automate this? I don't like this idea of having 2 timer because in the case of pwr outage, the Auqrite's timer will be out of line with the pump's timer.

Thanks

JasonLion said:
The only really reliable way to do this is to use a current sensing relay to detect when the pump is actually on and use that to turn the SWG on.

Does that mean I need some sort of auto control system or you are talking about some wiring techniques? If it's the wiring, can you tell how, if not, I don't mind getting an automate system. I am getting new pump too and still deciding if Intelliflow or Ecostar. I guess I should get the same brand for both.

no-mas said:
doesn't your aquarite have a flow sensor? Mine isn't on a timer...

Yes it does and it should prevent the unit to turn on when the pump is off. But I am not sure if I like that idea, the unit thinks something is wrong.

So yours is wired to be always on and just wait for the pump to turn on? If this doesn't cause a long term problem It might be an alternative. I remember reading someone's post about having the Aqurite turned on without the pump and it caused all sort of fault readings.

Having the SWG be on when the pump is off is just fine as long as the flow sensor works. However, flow sensors are not the most reliable things in the world, and if the flow sensor fails and the SWG runs with the pump off there could be an explosion. Thus, it is nice to have a secondary level of protection (like a current sensing relay).

All of this is only an issue when you are using the timer built into the pump. If you have an external timer or automation system controlling the pump, it can also control the SWG and solve the problem. Current sensing relays are usually under $100 and fairly easy to deal with, though they tend to assume hard wiring and most require a separate enclosure to be used outdoors.

Jason, I didn't know using an external timer with the VSP is possible. So you just program it run 24 hr (so that it's always ready) and let the external timer actually control the pump time?

Another question about the built-in timer for the VSP: The schedule to change the speed, does it do it on time of day or number of hrs. For instance, if you want to start with high speed (for vacuum, priming, etc...) for a few hours and then low for the rest, do you set it at exact time of day, or like, 3 hrs of high and 5 hrs of low? If it does by number of hrs I can see how an external timer work.

Thanks

Yes, it can work with an external timer. You set it to a speed in manual mode and then turn it on and off with the external timer. However, when using an external timer it only really works at a single speed. There are ways to get it to change speeds with an external timer but they don't seem to work reliably unless you also get an IntelliComm II.

With the built-in timer, there are two approaches, depending on which model you have. The less expensive pump that lets you set the speed in RPM works straightforwardly, set a time and a speed and you are all set. The more expensive, fancier, model that lets you set either a speed in RPM or a flow rate in GPM tends to get a little confusing since it has a certain number of gallons it intends to pump each day and then it turns it's self off more or less regardless of what other things are programmed. There are various ways to work around that but it sometimes get confusing.

I guess using the external timer will limit the operation of a VSP then.

I also found this current sensing relay that hope it closes the circuit (instead of open it) when it senses a current:
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/wwg/se ... sst=subset

I assume that the way it works is to have one power cable (120v) of the pump going through the relay and when the pump is on (by its own timer) it creates a current. That current will close the connection of the power cable of the Aquarite which was also connected to the relay.

Thanks

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.