Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: PVC Ball Valve Sun Exposure

1. Back To Top    #1

PVC Ball Valve Sun Exposure

Our in-ground pool was built last winter. I noticed that one of my two PVC ball valves (red handle type), is showing significant fading of the handle after just one summer. Should I be concerned with this? I guess I could rig something to cover the valves so they're not in full sun. I also noticed that the top of the grey electrical piping and junction boxes on the house wall are turning dark brown from the sunlight.
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: PVC Ball Valve Sun Exposure

This happens in high UV areas like Arizona and Texas. The outside of the valve is less of a concern than the inside. The handle might break as it weakens and the valve gets old, so protecting it would help.

3. Back To Top    #3

TFP Guide

Here in AZ all the plumbing is painted to protect it from UV damage. It only takes a quick coat from a spray can to do the job.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Ok, thank you for the responses. I'll see about spray painting the exposed pvc. Will any paint do? Im thinking the Krylon paint for plastics but I'm not sure if I need some specialized paint for UV protection.
    16x36 Vinyl Pool - 22.5K gallons.
    Jandy Stealth 1hp pump - Jandy CS-150 filter
    Jandy Legacy 250k heater - Jandy Ei SWCG
    Jandy Watercolors LED light
    Paramount Vanquish in-floor cleaner

5. Back To Top    #5

TFP Guide

Krylon is fine.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

6. Back To Top    #6

How are your plastic valves holding out?

I am also in a high uv area, but even after painting my valves, the red handles broke.
    If I had no intention to automate my valves, can anyone say whether Pegler valves (which are locally available) are suitable for use with a salt water pool?

It looks like this : http://www.ukhps.co.uk/products/Pegler-Lever-Valve.html

I have had good longevity with them for domestic supply, but I am unsure with the salt that's a problem.

Otherwise, I might just have to spring for the Jandys.

thanks.

7. Back To Top    #7

TFP Guide

All my valves are Jandy type valve and they are fine. Well there are two of the ball type with the red handles on the pipes going to and from my solar panels but they have never been turned off since installation. The handles are unpainted so I'm sure they would break if I tried.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ

8. Back To Top    #8

I think that the Jandy NeverLube valves would be a good choice. They come with a lifetime guarantee.

http://www.zodiacpoolsystems.com/Produc ... alves.aspx

9. Back To Top    #9

openpool, I'd skip the metal valves of all types, just because of the corrosion potential. Nothing is wrong with broken handles either, you just need a big pair of channel lock pliers to turn them
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden