Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Streak marks in plaster from trowel?

1. Back To Top    #1

Streak marks in plaster from trowel?

Hello everyone. I had a quick question regarding some streaks I can see on the bottom of my pool (now that it is crystal clear and I can see the bottom). This is a new plaster pool. I've attached a picture that shows the streaks. I believe they are from the trowel the plaster people used. is this normal? they are all over the pool but really bad in the area in this pic.

is it too much to expect a better finish to the plaster? any chance the builder would come out and re-do this?

take a look and tell me what you think. the streaks go from right to left right through the middle of the picture.

thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images
    16'x32' Inground Plaster pool (@15,000 gallons)
    Pentair Tagelus TA 100D sand filter (100 GPM)
    Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS 3 Hp Pump

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Streak marks in plaster from trowel?

Though not exactly the same, the marks in your photo are similar to the marks on the bottom of my pool. I have thought that the marks were a mild case of scale caused by my pH rising up to near or at 8.0 for very short periods during the initial 2-4 months of the pool. Now, I'm not so sure. It looks like you have exposed aggregate plaster and some mottling is normal and expected for such surfaces. I'm keeping pH in the 7.2-7.8 range and I'm brushing weekly with a wire brush (per Wet Edge's instructions) and it has not gotten worse and overall I'm satisfied with my plaster job.
    9,200 gal. Gunite Luna Quartz French Grey pool with spill over spa, two fountains on tanning ledge (rarely used)
    Pentair Whisperflo 2HP, Pentair CCP Cartridge 420 Sq. Ft., Polaris 280 with booster pump
    Pentair EasyTouch 4, RayPak LoNox 266k Natural Gas heater, Aqua Rite SWCG T Cell 9, Borates, TF-100 test kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Could you post a full set if test results? It could be ca scale...
    17,000 gal, IG Gunite Diamond Brite plaster Kidneybean,w/7x11 tanning ledge& 3x5 swimout bench,244T 300lb Hayward Pro high rate sand filter(63 GPM) , Hayward 1Hp Super Pump w/3/4 hp booster pump, Polaris 280, Laars Lite 2 175k N/G Heater, Tf-100, Speed stir

4. Back To Top    #4

Regarding the scale question, can you feel it? Is it smooth or rough and irregular? To go a step further, though - maybe I set a low bar, but it looks ok to me... except for the odd dark stain in the bottom of the picture resembling someone holding a camera
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

5. Back To Top    #5

Agree w/ no-mas; I can't see anything I know things like that can be hard to photograph...
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden

6. Back To Top    #6

It's scale. I have it too on the floor of my pool, and it does seem to follow trowel marks
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    It's scale. I have it too on the floor of my pool, and it does seem to follow trowel marks
    should I do anything about it or will it go away eventually?

talked to my builder yesterday and he mentioned efflourescence (sp?). even after googling this, I'm not sure what it is exactly.

my last test results:

FC - 7
    CC - 0
    Ph 7.5 - 7.8 (this goes up to 7.8, I add MA, goes down to not quite 7.2, then starts slowly rising back up within a week or so. typical of new gunite pools I'm told)
    TA - 100
    Ch - 190

I've put my results into the pool calculator and kept an eye on the CSI and its only been an issue for a couple days all summer, usually when my Ph got too high.
    16'x32' Inground Plaster pool (@15,000 gallons)
    Pentair Tagelus TA 100D sand filter (100 GPM)
    Pentair Intelliflo VS-SVRS 3 Hp Pump

8. Back To Top    #8

Quote Originally Posted by judge smails
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    should I do anything about it or will it go away eventually?

talked to my builder yesterday and he mentioned efflourescence (sp?). even after googling this, I'm not sure what it is exactly.

my last test results:

FC - 7
    CC - 0
    Ph 7.5 - 7.8 (this goes up to 7.8, I add MA, goes down to not quite 7.2, then starts slowly rising back up within a week or so. typical of new gunite pools I'm told)
    TA - 100
    Ch - 190

I've put my results into the pool calculator and kept an eye on the CSI and its only been an issue for a couple days all summer, usually when my Ph got too high.
    I've been having good, although slow, success by keeping pH down, CSI always in the negatives, and wire brushing. My big hope is a lot of rainwater this winter to really drop CH. That seemed to help me more than anything with removing the buildup I inherited.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

9. Back To Top    #9

pH 7.8 or less, TA 100 CH 190 - - - I'm not sure any of these are out of range enough to think it's scale. What does your builder suggest you do?
    18k gal inground, everbrite finish, 505 sq ft; 1.5 hp two speed whisperflow; rheem 5100ti 100k btu heat pump; 3 sheer descent falls; DE filter; swg (cell out and using trichlor for now)

10. Back To Top    #10

Although it is difficult to tell by the picture, your pool may have what is known as "spot etching," but the more accurate term would be "white soft spotting." Go to the "Deep End" forum on this website and review the two topic posts on Spot Etching.