Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How To Hide My Equipment Pad?

1. Back To Top    #1

How To Hide My Equipment Pad?

Looking for ideas as how to conceal my pool equipment.
    Pad size = 4' X 6'.

My thoughts for hiding the equipment:
    I'm not to concerned about the "noise" because I run the pump during the night hours (unless we have a heavy swim). My concern is protecting the equipment from the sun (and maybe because it's ugly). It receives sun from 10:30 am to 6:00 pm and the summer highs can reach 100 degrees. I recently went through all the connections stopping even the smallest drips/leaks and painted the PVC. I want easy dis-assembly of the structure in order to provide access to all components for easy repair/maintenance. Lastly I think proper airflow is in order to keep the pump motor cool.

Left to Right:
    Patio area.
    Filter (duh).
    Blue lockers where the kids store goggles, flippers and such.
    Living room window.

You can see the setup is right off the patio near the shallow end. There is a gate in the distance that we prefer guests use when coming over. I plan on making a paved path through the grass leading to the pool area.
    In-ground Gunite 16' X 40'
    Tagelus TA/60 Sand Filter
    A.O. Smith 1 HP Motor
    Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II Pump
    Pentair #320 Inline Chlorinator
    Intermatic Mechanical Timer

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How To Hide My Equipment Pad?

I'd build a 3 sided box with sloping lid using 2x4's for the frame and covered with similar paneling and 1x4 trim as the house, then paint to match the house (including white trim). The lid would be sloping (sort of like the lockers) to move rain away from the box. And then I'd add small casters on the bottom so that I could easily roll it away (pull out from house) for servicing. The box would be rolled into place flush with the wall, but below the pump timer box. You may have to move the other j-box to make this work. Since the box would be three sided, there would still be enough air circulation, and since the box would not be completely flush with the ground, cool air would circulate and vent at the top at the back of the box. The hinged lid would allow for simple servicing without having to move the box away from the wall.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

3. Back To Top    #3

The box I've thought of but the addition of casters is a great idea!
    A.O. Smith 1 HP Motor

4. Back To Top    #4

Great! Let's see what it looks like when you build it. Please post some pics.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

5. Back To Top    #5

How about a Rubbermaid storage shed with a sliding lid. http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Page ... D=RP091380
    Sean Assam - Sean@teamhorner.com
    National Accounts and Commercial Products Manager
    AquaCal Heat Pumps www.aquacal.com
    AutoPilot Salt Chlorine Generators www.autopilot.com

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Poolsean
    How about a Rubbermaid storage shed with a sliding lid. http://www.rubbermaid.com/Category/Page ... D=RP091380
    I've looked at those but never found one big enough(Until now) ...Thanks for the link!
    A.O. Smith 1 HP Motor

7. Back To Top    #7

Looks like they've got you covered. I just wanted to add that I really like the locker idea....pretty slick.
    11,872 Gallon IG Shotcrete play pool
    Blue Granite Pebble Sheen finish
    Hayward SwimClear c4025, Navigator & Tristar 1.75hp pump
    2' Powerfall

8. Back To Top    #8

This post is long over due...I thought I updated it.

Here's what I came up with...The boards are spaced with large gaps for air flow.

There are 2 hinged boards for access to valves and such for start up or vacuuming.

This board has a spring to keep the wind from opening it.

Plenty of workspace.

A.O. Smith 1 HP Motor

9. Back To Top    #9

Looks good, I am not sure how much exposure protection it really offers though
    Indoor 20x40 35,000 gallon vinyl pool with 1.5 HP 2 speed Jandy FloPro pump, Hayward EC75 Perflex DE filter, 11 4x12 Techno-Solis solar panels w/ Aquasolar controller, Aquabot Turbo T Robot Cleaner. Also LMI metering chlorine dispenser pump and HotSpring Jetsetter
    I use and endorse TFtestKits TF-100 from http://tftestkits.net
    ~Remember TFP counts on your donations to keep this site ad free~

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Isaac-1
    Looks good, I am not sure how much exposure protection it really offers though
    Thanks...The equipment is completely shaded which was my primary concern. During the winter I disassemble most of the equipment and store it in the pool house. Not much rain protection but it's sure nicer to look at...Plus it keeps little ones from being near the hot motor!
    A.O. Smith 1 HP Motor