Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Stone Patio: expansion gap or directly rebarred to pool?

1. Back To Top    #1

Stone Patio: expansion gap or directly rebarred to pool?

I live in NJ and have gotten different views on whether to install the pool patio with an expansion gap or directly connected to the pool. I'm looking to put in a Norwegian Buff patio without the traditional coping. The coping will be part of the stone patio so it would look seemless to the pool edge. One of the builders said the expansion gap is necessary or I run the risk of the patio moving and cracking the shell (as it will be permanently connected together). Another builder said the risks are miniscule and that he's never seen a cracked shell from doing it this way.

What are your thoughts? I like the directly connected method as it's better looking than the expansion gap. Has anyone experience a cracked shell from a directly connection patio shifting?

Also, my soil is mostly dense clay so I assume this will help minimize shifting of the patio.

Thanks,
    Mike
    8 lane 25 meter 200,000 gallon outdoor pool (liquid chlorine)
    3 lane 25 yard 60,000 gallon indoor pool (liquid chlorine)
    3 Spa's 1200-600 gallon (trichlor/liquid chlorine)
    1 kids pool 40,000 gallon
    14x24 above ground SWG
    44,000 inground home pool (trichlor/liquid chrloine)
    AFO/CPO/LGIT/WSIT
    Southwest Utah Health Inspector/Pool Regulator

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Stone Patio: expansion gap or directly rebarred to pool?

Hi, we just poured our deck this weekend, and left an expansion gap that will then be sealed with Mastic. Here in North Texas, we have clay also and the ground shifts drastically through out the year, so even though it might not look as seamless having some wiggle room might be a good thing. IMHO.
    New pool owner ~ 30x17' IG Gunite freeform ~3' - 5.6' - 4' play pool (15,000 gallon) ~93' Perimeter ~432 sq ft~ 7' spa raised 12" with 6 jets, overflow waterfall and Bubbler with 100w light~24" sheen spillway ~ ic40 SWG ~ Pentair Intelliflo SVRS VS-3050 variable speed pump ~ 520 cartridge filter ~ Suntouch FOB Key controller ~ 500w Lighting~ 400,000 BTU Pentair Heater ~ Freeze Sensor ~ 350 sq ft tan color textured concrete decking My pool Build thread

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Tons of single pour cantileved decks here in the SE, what they do it lay down a bond breaker to seperate the pour from the deck. They usually use roofing felt.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

Never, ever tie your deck to the pool wall with rebar; when the ground freezes, the deck will attempt to move but the the rebar will keep it on place. While cracks will likely be small, there's likely to be deterioration of the concrete at some level. All you have to do is put a bond breaker, as previously mentioned, between the pool wall and the bottom of the deck to ensure they stay as two separate pieces capable of independent movement.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.400857,-76.758459

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks. Is the bond breaker essentially the same as an expansion gap? Not sure what the difference is
    8 lane 25 meter 200,000 gallon outdoor pool (liquid chlorine)
    3 lane 25 yard 60,000 gallon indoor pool (liquid chlorine)
    3 Spa's 1200-600 gallon (trichlor/liquid chlorine)
    1 kids pool 40,000 gallon
    14x24 above ground SWG
    44,000 inground home pool (trichlor/liquid chrloine)
    AFO/CPO/LGIT/WSIT
    Southwest Utah Health Inspector/Pool Regulator

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Bond breaker is anything meant to keep two pieces of concrete independent from each other. Expansion joints have the added value of allowing expansion and contraction of pieces while minimizing their effects on the adjacent pieces.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.371434,-76.777664

7. Back To Top    #7

msg, while it's very unlikely that the pool shell would crack, the stone will definitely crack. It will likely crack all the way around the pool at the same distance from the edge (12" or so) so you might as well get the expansion gap now so it still looks nice when it moves.
    11,200 gal, Pebble-Tec; Tristar 2-speed 1hp - Swimclear 325 ft2 cart - SWG - A & A in-floor cleaner - Heat pump. For the poolside cooking, a Yoder Wichita and a Big Steel Keg!
    TF Test Kits -- PoolMath -- Pool School
    Make each day your masterpiece. - John Wooden