Newbie's first of many questions. Do I need Intellitouch?

rhumbaclave

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 9, 2011
I am getting ready to start a DIY 20x40 Vinyl liner build in Southern Colorado. Actually I have already started, the reo house we bought 2 years ago had the hole dug which has lead to many man problems in itself, so I have been working the hole for a while trying to get it right. I just bought a bunch of equipment off of Craigslist and am getting ready to order the rest of the pool kit very soon and was wondering if I should order a controller. My question is do I need a controller like the Intellitouch. This is what I got on craigs.

2 speed 2hp Wisperflo Pump (I know its overkill)
Mini max NT 400k btu heater
30" TR100 sand filter

I am going to order the Intelliclor SWG for sure.

I know I need some sort of sub panel to hook up all of this to the power, Is the Intellitouch the only way to go considering I have all of this plus the SWG.

Thank you all so much I have learned a ton from this site already.

Re: Newbie's first of many questions. Do I need Intellitouc

You don't need any automation for that. You can just buy a simple timer to run the pump, the heater has a thermostat, and the intellichlor can be wired to the timer along with the pump. Something like the Easytouch or Intellitouch is nice, but not necessary.

I'm going to disagree with MITS a bit.

If you need a subpanel anyway, you might as well get the automation. The easytouch or intellitouch doubles as a subpanel as well. You can bring up to 150 amps into the panel and use that power to run your pump, intellichlor, outlets, pool lights, heat pump and /or gas heater power etc (there are 8 breaker slots).
In addition, the ET or IT box comes with the transformer built in for the intellichlor. In addition, you can more easily run your 2 speed pump. Also, with the intellichlor, you can only set the chrlorine generator in 20% intervals. With the automation, you can set the output in 1% intervals. This can come in really handy to be able to dial in your chlorine generation more precisely.
As to getting the ET or IT, it depends what you want to do. The ET is cheaper and will do everything you want. The IT has more bells and whiastles and allows you to program macros, but for a basic set up like you describe, the ET is plenty.

Any kind of automation system is vastly more expensive than a plain sub-panel. Your setup sounds really simple. I don't see any need for anything more than a timer, unless you enjoy fancy expensive gadgets.

Lets look at some rough numbers.

Intellichlor IC-40 $520
Power supply $300
subpanel $50
intermatic timer $30
another timer for
potential pool light $30

Total ~$900 give or take a buck or 2

Easytouch 150 amp box, w/4 relays including the IC-40 and the power supply ~$1100 total.

Difference is a couple hundred at most. To me that's worth the extra cost for finer control of the IC-40 and the convience of the automation. Couple hundred bucks out of 5 figures plus for the pool, deck, fence, etc is not a lot of money for a nice system. But then again its your money. :wink:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.