Hey guys. I have now been a little more than a year using the BBB method & loving it. Thanks to all who helped. Now, apparently I got a bit lazy over the summer & not only allowed my FC levels to stay too low ( blamed the ridiculous heat ) but didn't realize my CYA was also low.
Guess what...black mold! So I have done some refresher reading here...& adjusted my FC & CH & working on CYA (results sometime next week). I am in the first full day of shocking & brushing & shocking in order to get rid of the mold (following the guidelines in pool school). My current levels are:
CH-390 (replaced about 30% of water to reduce this)
CYA-20 (before adding stabilizer yesterday with a goal of 50)
I am pretty confident I can get rid of algae, but had a little incident upon raising chlorine levels this morning...water turned clear, but very green. My further reading here indicates I have copper (probably caused by improper chem levels over an extended period running thru my heater). I have now treated with "the blue stuff" as well.
Any other suggestions or surprises I need to be looking for? Help me get back my sparkle please. I promise I won't take it for granted again!