American Products FiberWorks Photon Generator won't light up

Sep 24, 2011
I have an American Products FiberWorks photon generator light for my in-ground pool that was installed about 12 years ago. (P/N 20100200)
Three days ago, the light stopped working. I know there is power to the unit, as when I turn on the remote switch, I can see both the fan running and the color wheel turning. I replaced the bulb, but that didn't help (I also checked continuity across both bulbs with a meter and both check out ok)

I am looking for a schematic diagram, or information on the internals of the light circuitry so I can trace the problem. I believe I am supposed to have about 22VAC at the light, but what about on the secondary side of the transformer? How do I determine if the "X10 Photon Generator" is good or bad? Any ideas (other than calling a repairman?) ;-)

Re: American Products FiberWorks Photon Generator won't ligh

A meter will tell you what voltage is actually available on the secondary side of the transformer. As a general rule, when there is power on the primary, if there is any voltage reading at the secondary, the transformer is good. If not, then verify the voltage on the primary. These voltage measurements should tell you in which direction you should look for further problems.

Be really careful when testing under powered conditions. 220V can be extremely dangerous.

I'm having exact same issue. Did you ever figure out what was wrong? How hard to replace transformer? Can you post part number? Thanks

I used meter and found 19.7V read out on bulb socket. So, it appears that transformer is working. It seems that the bulb I was using before is rated for 24v. Perhaps that has something to do with it. The 19.7v bulb replacements are way too expensive, but I ordered one and will try to see if it works.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.