Help with closing

Sep 20, 2011
OK, My water is crystal clear with some brown SEDIMENT still on the floor :hammer: , don't seem to be as much today as yesterday :p

I partial drained my pool last night 8 INCES to lower my CYA, went by the pool store and they were out of the regiment so I used my stick for this reading

FC 25
TC 25
CC 0
ALK 120
CYA 100 (STICK)
ph 8.0

I really thought my CYA would have comed down more than this :blah:
Is my high chlorine reading giving me a false PH reading and do I need to let my FC level fall on its own.....Thinking about just covering and close, battle in the spring.
Any thoughts?

I didn't even know a stick test would read that high. Are you sure about that? Why would your FC be that high to begin with unless shocking? If it is 25, then ph is ignored. Not accurate with FC above 10.

Yes the pool was shocked with liquoid chlorine to bring my FC level up to help fight what I believe to be MA. The Aqua Check strip will measure CYA numbers that high and even higher......Thanks for the info I thought the PH would be ignored with FC levels this high. I believe I will just let the FC level fall and adjust PH AND CLOSE her down for the year.

OK all, I checked my numbers again last night using the DPD test kit and here are my results:

FC 25
CC 0
TC 25
ALK 100
CYA 70
CH 100
PH 7.8

The brown sediment that had been lying on the pool floor seems to be gone. I have been running my filter 24/7, sweeping the pool and changing the pool sock every two days. Filter is maintaining good pressure at about 10. Question is since it has been raining off and on for the last several days how long do you think it will take the FC to drop to normal levels? I am not running any pucks and will no loger do so even next year, totally bleach. I would have thought to have seen some kind of drop by now. Not sure what the water temp is but I will get a temp tester Monday. Thanks for any advice you may provide.

I expect it to take several days for the FC level to come down. Keep in mind that a DPD test kit has a tremendous amount of error when measuring FC levels around 25, something like +-10, so you are going to have a hard time being sure just how fast it is falling until it has moved down quite a bit.

Thanks Jason. I will check these numbers again tonight to see if any change and hope you will keep a look in on me along this journey. I have been reading others post in this forumn and have learned so much in a short period of time. Several post I have read seem to suggest before closing to add Polyquat 60 (opional) but suggested. I will wait until water temp falls to about 55-60, FC is down (may take a while) and slightly drop my PH level around 7.2-7.6. I plan on draining my pool below skimmer and covering and will remove the pump/hoses to store in the garage. Next year I will for sure be using the TF-100 test kit on most heres recommendation. Would it be ok to only run my pump say 12 hrs a day now? Again thanks for your help

Checked my #s again and here goes

FC 15
CC 0
TC 15
ALK 100
CYA 70

My FC level has come down some but our weather here has been overcast during the day and raining at night, so not much sunlight and no pool swimming. Waiting for water temp to drop FC level to drop to 8 and maintain there. Would anyone recommend adding a polyquat 60 before closing? Water is sparkling clear!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.