What pool temp is ok with you?

With my hot tub I will use the pool for a cold plunge untill the water temp drops below mid 60's.

Comfortable swim temps with a hot tub to slip into would be mid to low 70'S.

This is my first year with a pool too. I just put up a 4x20 fafco solar panel for my 2000 gallon ABP in California. I hope to be extend the swim season till November.

84-86 is our preferred temp range. With a solar system and a cover we can keep it in range from mid April until about Thanksgiving.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
If it goes over 84°, I start pumping in 55° well water. Ideal for me is 74°-78°. If the day is hot enough to work up a sweat, I'm good down to about 68°. I deliberately did not install a heater, so the women can't make me use it.

I believe racing pools are supposed to be kept at 69-72°. I like to swim for exercise and after exercise or physical work. An 80° pool is useless on a hot day.

I have been swimming in the last week since we finally got our pool set up, the season is still young for us here in Australia, so the first time it was around 62. I had to fetch out some stuff that had fallen in though lol. Yesterday I went swimming for fun at 68, it was chilly but bearable. I'll have to see how the season goes and find my perfect temperature, but off my trial runs I think around 77 would be nice.

I like mid-80s and even up to 88 is ok. Yesterday my pool was 85 at 5:00 pm and this morning it is 79. The next couple of weeks until the first real cold front blows through will be some of the best swimming days of the year here in Houston.

My 1st swim on memorial day was @ 68 deg, way too cold for a pool but feels good if your in a Sierra lake. Its refreshing but you cant stay in long. Now with the solar heating the pool temp hit 87 deg yesterday, outside temp approx 90 deg. As has been mentioned cooler is prob better if your exercising but for hanging out 85 / 87deg is perfect for me.

+1 on the hot tub. I will look for any reason to get in the water. Any temp between 108 and 58 would be fine for me. Being able to switch back and forth between the temperature extremes really cleanses the body and soul. Puts me in a zen mindset.

In high school we swam in an outdoor heated pool at the YMCA for practice.

During the winter they kept it about 78 for us, and that was fine.

One day some prankster took down the "heater is broken do not swim sign" and we all went out and jumped in. The water was in the low 50-high 40 range. We tended to sprint from the locker rooms to the pool when it was cold and just jump in and go. That day we LEVITATED out of the water as soon as we hit it. One girl actually developed heart palpitations from the shock and had to go to the emergency room.

Anyway, I like anything from 72 up. It really depends on the air temp as to what I find comfortable to just hang out in though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.