Finally did some testing with new Taylor K-2006

Jul 7, 2011
Mesa, Arizona
So, having started up the pool just about 3 weeks ago, I finally ordered a real test kit instead of trying to read colors on strips! A bit more involved but MUCH more accurate. It will take a little getting used to as it took me quite a while to run all the tests today.

As the pool is brand new (plaster finish) I have been told I will be battling high pH levels for quite a while. The pool water itself is sparkling clean and with the wife and I having been it in a few times, there have been no complaints of any skin/eye/etc. irritations.

I have been adding quite a bit of Muratic Acid (20-32 oz) nightly but it seems near impossible to get it under 7.6.

So, here are the numbers taken from my first run with the new test kit this morning around 11.

Pool is 9,914 gal. All tests were at the .2 level.

pH - 8.0
TA - 110
CYA - 45
CH - 320
FC - 3.6
CC - .04

According to the Taylor booklet, pretty much everything is inline other than the high pH and maybe slightly high TA. Should I be worried about anything else? For now, I just plan on the daily testing of all the levels and just adding the acid at night trying to lower the pH.

Thanks!

There isn't much point in doing the FC/CC test by 0.2. That just uses up your reagents more quickly. Measuring FC/CC to 0.5 is good enough.

CC at 0.4, I assume you meant 0.4, is a little high. You never want more than one drop of CC (0.2 when going by 0.2, or 0.5 when going by 0.5). That isn't a big deal, but you should raise the FC level a little to see if you can't get that down. With CYA at 45, FC should be between 4 and 8, and never below 4, anyway.

The main project for the first perhaps four weeks after plaster is applied is keeping the PH down. You never want the PH going above 8.0. You may need to use more acid than you have been using. Don't worry about TA until the PH more or less stabilizes. The constant acid additions will keep it under control until then.

Yes, the CC was 0.4, my mistake. I only had to add 1 drop. It was the same tonight (1 drop) using the 0.5 test.

Added more bleach tonight as well as nearly doubled the MA amount in an attempt to really drop the pH. Hopefully I'll see positive changes in the morning and feel at least like I'm getting things more under control there.

Tested this morning, pH was down to 7.6, added another double of MA, maybe that'll get it down to 7.2 for little while where I can than keep better control and use less MA to maintain. The FC is up to 7.5 today, CC is still coming in at .5 (1 drop)

7.5 is a fine level to be at at the end of the day for your CYA level of 45. 8ppm would be good too. Make sure to end the day at that level (nightly dose). Once your SWG is in operation you won't have to add bleach every day and can let the FC level drop to normal SWG levels but for now, do follow the BBB method of nightly dosing to the high target. You should only lose about 3ppm a day but with your sun it might be more. If so, go ahead and bump the CYA level up to 55-60 and see if that works better. Never fall below 3ppm (CYA 45).

Stunning pool btw... very very nice!

Don't worry about CC at that level. Some pools constantly have a very low CC level, others don't. If it takes two drops when measuring CC, then you need to do something about it.

The goal when maintaining the PH after plaster is applied is for the PH to have gone up to roughly around 7.8 by the next time you add acid. That often means lowering the PH to around 7.2, maybe a little lower, if you were to measure it shortly after adding acid. But then by the next day it will have gone up again. If you lower the PH low enough that it will still be only 7.2 the next day, it will be too low right when you are adding acid.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.