Thoughts on equipment for a new pool.

msg73

Sep 22, 2011
Hello everyone. I live in northern NJ and am looking to put in a new 800sqft free form gunite inground pool (deep end will only be 6'). I got a list of the pool equipment from a potential builder and wanted to get your thoughts on them. I'm not looking to spend a fortune on top of the line equipment. I'm really looking to get good value and quality with minimal maintenance.

Raypak digital 399k BTU heater
Jandy PlusHP 2.5hp pump (not sure if it's the single or dual speed version. Is dual worth the extra cost?)
Jandy AquaLink control model PDA-PS6 (Should I get the PDA-PS8 model?)
Jandy DEV 60sqft DE filter (would you recommend a cartrige filter for less maintenance?)
Nature 2 Fusion Chlorinator and Mineral Purifier (should I go SWG instead? I'll be using Tennesee Crab Orchard stone and am concerned about effects of a SWG pool on the natural stone).
If I go with Nature 2, should I also go with an ozone unit?
Polaris 380 pool cleaner

I'd rather spend more money now instead of installing sub-par equipment and swapping them out a few years down the road. If you feel I should stay away from any of the above, could you please provide alternate options.

Thanks,
Mike

A 2.5 HP pump is very large. Is there is some specific reason you need a pump that large? Common reasons would include a spa with lots of jets or a large waterfall. If you don't have something like that you should be looking at a smaller pump. Under no circumstances get a 2.5 HP pump that is only a single speed. When you aren't running the spa, or waterfall, or whatever, a large pump like that is just wasting electricity. If it is a two speed then it is alright.

That filter is quite small to be paired with a large pump like that. Either get a smaller pump or a larger filter, preferably both.

Stay away from Nature 2. There is no point in risking metal stains for the tiny advantage it gives. I would also skip ozone for an outdoor residential pool. Ozone can be great in a commercial pool with a higher bather load, but in a residential pool there is nothing for it to do.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.