Fiberglass pools, NJ - Dealers & Installers?

Feb 20, 2008
NJ
We are looking to get a fiberglass pool installed this spring and could use some information. So far we have been looking at Waterworld, Castaway, & Ordini's. Does anyone have any knowledge of these dealers and or products? We are looking at Dolphin & Leisure from Castaway. Ordini carries Leisure as well as others (Ocean Reef, Outer Banks, Sun & Alaglas). We are in Central NJ. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Jim

For the love of God DO NOT USE CASTAWAY!!!!! Check out Complaintsboard.com. They have the 4th worst rating on the whole site. They are being investigated by the NJ State Attorney General.

WaterWorld has a good reputation and I've heard good things about Pool Designs in Yardville.

CHECK REFERENCES!! Go look at installed pools. And I repeat, DO NOT USE CASTAWAY. Unfortunately, I did. Good luck.

tlbb

Thanks tlbb! Yes I'm reading "VERY BAD" things about Castaway. There are out of the mix. It's between WaterWorld & Ordini's as of now. I have not looked into Pool Design's yet. I'll check them out.

I'm currently having a Viking Fiberglass pool installed (Poseidon Model). The quality of this pool is unbelievable and I'd recommend that you take a look at the Viking Product Line (vikingpools.net). I researched quite abit with Friends and Co-workers and all agreed that If they were to do things over they would install a Fiberglass pool manufactured by Viking. Although the process is not yet complete, I'm happy with the product and look forward to jumping in in the near future

Pool should be completed and operational by Mid-March.

Best of Luck to you at whatever you decide.

Bill

I put in a San Juan pool the summer of 2006. I'm also in Central NJ. I have been pretty pleased with the quality and the installation. It was done by Valley Pools in Hamilton Square, NJ. But, I would NOT recommend them again due to issues I had with them. Check BBB.ORG. The installation process is VERY important and you should take great care in selecting a reputable installer!

As for as manufacturers go, I did a ton of research back in 2006 and San Juan and Viking were the best for quality and service. I would have chosen either, but the price of the pool and installation was about 8K cheaper for the San Juan. My recollection from 2006 was that Pool Designs only installs Viking in NJ. San Juan has many dealers. Actually, since it's a fiberglass pool, builders will come from all parts of the state and PA.

I will mention that I had the need to call San Juan a few times with questions and I got great answers.

If I moved, I would go fiberglass again and research San Juan and Viking dealers.

Hope this helps!
Marc

Do you really want a fiberglass pool in NJ? How high is the water table where you live? I am in Northern NJ and would never put one in as it would most likely lift out of the ground in the winter due to hydrostatic pressure under the pool.

The issue of a fiberglass pool popping out more often that another pool is incorrect. Any vessel that gets enough water enough can lift up. If the pool, (FG, vinyl, or concrete) is installed properly there are no worries about it popping. This popping of a FG pool is strictly a rumor started years ago from concrete and vinyl pool companies during consumers considering FG pools.

My pool has a stand pipe so I can look down and see if there is water around the pool and also has a sump pipe attached directly to my pump, so, in the event I have water underground around the pool, I can use the sump to drain. Never had an issue. Again, the issue of "water around the pool" will pertain to ANY pool, not just FG.

Fiberglass pools will tend to pop out of the ground more than others because the walls are totally impervious. In my IG liner pool the bottom under the walls is a concrete vermiculite mix that is semi porous. We are in a very high water table area and this allows the pressure to relieve itself. We have a sump under the pool where we can pump this water out. With a solid structure we would likely have problems in the winter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As long as the water level is higher in the pool than the water table level there will be no damage to any kind of pool. If the water table is higher than the water in the pool there will be damage to any kind of pool. However, the kinds of damage that you will see will vary depending on the kind of pool. A concrete/plaster pool will handle small water table differences, but any significant difference will cause dramatic amounts of damage that are difficult to repair. A fiberglass pool will initially deform a little, generally causing no damage, but then it will float out, just as a concrete pool would, and tear out the plumbing. Fiberglass will float a little sooner than concrete, but the difference is small. Fiberglass will cost less than concrete to repair, though it will still cost quite a bit. A vinyl liner pool will see the liner separate from the walls. For small water table differences that is not so serious, perhaps leaving some liner wrinkles, but larger differences will typically ruin the liner. Losing a liner is a lot less expensive than having a pool float and tear out the plumbing, but it is still damage.

Keeping the pool full of water will prevent problems. If you do need to lower the water level there are things you can do to avoid damage, for example a hydrostatic valve or dry well(s) with sump pump(s).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.