Boric Acid the easy way

bobodaclown

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Apr 14, 2011
Murrieta, CA
Hello All,
First this is a great site! :-D Thanks for all the help, advice and such.
Started my season going with the 20 Mule team and acid, got my Borates up to 50. Season has wound down and my borates measured around 30. Time to bring them back up. I was going to use the 20 Mule team again, but getting the supply from Wally World was a PITA the last time.

I decided to do the Boric Acid direct route. Ordered 25 lbs (needed 16 for my pool) from Duda Diesel (Boric Acid, 25 lb - FREE SHIPPING • Granular Form / Tech Grade 99.9+%).

The Boric Acid was about $54 for 25 lbs delivered. Added 16 lbs. It took a whole 15 minutes to complete the job. Measured out a pound at a time and poured it into the pool. Dissolved pretty quick and the borate level read about 50 according to the strips.

Overall I was satisfied with how using boric acid worked out. Quick and Easy.

7/12 update. We've had lots of rain and parties (read splash out) so I need to top off my levels. I have a tough time reading the strips so I've purchased the borate drop test kit. My borate level is about 35 so I need to top it off. I've ordered Boric Acid again (25 lbs for $53 delivered). Duda Diesel on ebay. No price increase yet (it's the same as last year). I'll need to add 12 lbs.

Pool is looking good. No problems. I've only needed to shock twice in the year I've owned my pool. Borates, a SWCG and this site. Nothing but great thing to say about them!

Great idea! I wiped the Walmart out of 20 Mule Team and this is the better way to go! Found Duda still selling on ebay now 40 lbs boric acid for $70....I need 110 lbs to get to 50 if the amount to add is the same poundage? Poolcalculator gives me 1766 oz to add or would that calculation be different for boric acid?

Reactions: PoolBrews

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Bought 25 lbs from Duda again $53 delivered. Added the whole thing in 3 stages. I was low, started at about 18, added 10 lbs brought it to 31.5 (7 drops), then another 10lbs 40.5 (9 drops), added the last 5lbs. It should be between 45 and 50, calling it quits for the night. I'll measure in a few days. Need to order some refills from Dave.
Used the Borate drop test. Needed to add the drops to cancel out the chlorine. Took two tries before I figured that out. :oops:
Overall life is great! :goodjob:

I'm on the verge of doing borates in my pool and I've just decided to pay the extra cost and do boric acid instead. I'd need about 44lbs to get my pool to 50ppm and so I'm willing to pay the extra cost (not that much in my opinion) to just go straight in with BA as opposed to fiddling with borax/MA.

To each his own I suppose....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.