Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: If only I had…

1. Back To Top    #1

If only I had…

We are approaching making a decision on a PB in central NJ. This site has been a great help in getting to that point – not done yet but getting close. Given the huge knowledgebase out there I have a simple question:

If only I had ____________.

Fill in the blank, anything goes – design, PB selection, construction, equipment, start up…

Thanks!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: If only I had…

Bigger spa/hot tub and a bench in the water to sit on. Only sitting area are the stairs.
    Approx 11K Gal. 10'X30' Semi free-form IG - 6 ' raised spa w/6 jets - 10' circle sun shelf with 1 bubbler - Waterfall - 3 / 1.5 HP pumps - Polaris 280 Cleaner - 3 Pentair Color LED Intellibrite Lights - Pentair 400K Master Temp - 2 Valve Actuators - 5 Fiberstar Mini Laminars - 1 Fiberstars 2004 Illuminator - 2 Skimmers - 6 Returns - Caribbean Blue Pebble Tech - 600+ sq ft kool decK - Auto Fill - 2 Boston Acoustics VOYA RK5 Outdoor Rock Speakers - 2 TIC Corporation TFS5CN 6.5-Inch 150-Watt Terra-Forms Rock Speakers - Apple Airport Express - 1 Awesome View.

3. Back To Top    #3

Figure out which way the prevailing wind is and put the skimmer at the extreme downwind spot, even if it means the longest pipe run.

I also wish my main drain was hooked to a three-way valve rather than tied to the skimmer. Messing with the flapper in the diverter is a nuisance.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

4. Back To Top    #4

A bench in the deep end....also a spa would be nice

If only I had a bigger budget lol
    15k gallon, gunite, quartz

5. Back To Top    #5

...Not built this stinking pool!

Prepare yourself for equipment headaches, extra household labor, and high electric bills. The kids will love it though.

Oh... if you're stuck on some optional "extra" item that you think you'll regret later if it's cut out of the project... Do it. You'll regret it later. Whether it's more decking, some wall, better waterfall, extra pump... whatever. It'll be so much easier to do it now.

It's probably worth posting your specs and scope of the PB here. The more specific you can get in that contract the less surprises you'll have when you're almost done.
    Shelley
    Denver, CO

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by fyton2v
    ...Not built this stinking pool!

Prepare yourself for equipment headaches, extra household labor, and high electric bills. The kids will love it though.

Oh... if you're stuck on some optional "extra" item that you think you'll regret later if it's cut out of the project... Do it. You'll regret it later. Whether it's more decking, some wall, better waterfall, extra pump... whatever. It'll be so much easier to do it now.

It's probably worth posting your specs and scope of the PB here. The more specific you can get in that contract the less surprises you'll have when you're almost done.
    I have to disagree with you here. I spent maybe 5-10 minutes a day on my pool. I have not noticed any higher electric bills. My house when purchased came with a pool. I dont use it as much as I thought, but it is a great way to host parties and have people over and bring stuff.
    13,000 Plaster IG Pool approx
    Hayward C5030 Cart Filter
    Emerson 1081 EB653 1.0 HP 1.40 S.F. 3450 RPM
    Pool Calculator, Pool School, TF Test Kits

7. Back To Top    #7

... the $$ to put in an inground w/a shallow sun bathing area!

Here that means the cost of the pool & decking plus a really large fence. We have a large yard that would look strange broken up by a fence where the pool would sit.
    Indiana, ABG 24'x52" Galveston by Blue Cascade (Craigslist buy w/part of deck included), 13,500 gallons, Intex SWG, solar panels mix 2, TF-100 test kit.

Test kits compared
    Purchase test kits

8. Back To Top    #8

put in writing the minimum thickness of the flagstone coping in the contract. i assumed it would all be around an inch and a half or 2", but mine ranges from 2" all the way down to 3/4". i brought it up and the pb just kinda blew it off....it's not gonna crack etc. every time i look at that couple of sections that are only 3/4" i get angry.

9. Back To Top    #9

A bench area to sit, 8' steps instead of 6' and a few more return lines.
    Eric

IG 17x33 Grecian - Vinyl Liner (21k gallons), Hayward Pro-Grid DE 4820 filter, Hayward Super Pump, CompuPool SWG CPSC36, TF-100 Test Kit

10. Back To Top    #10

Quote Originally Posted by Richard320
    I also wish my main drain was hooked to a three-way valve rather than tied to the skimmer. Messing with the flapper in the diverter is a nuisance.
    +1

And, I wish I had a hand rail at the steps to the deck.
    36K gallon 42X22 gunite/plaster kidney-shaped IG;
    1 hp Hayward Super Pump (new in 2012);
    Hayward S244T sand filter w/ Zeosand (both new in 2009);
    175K BTU LAARS Lite2 LG natural gas heater; Polaris 380;
    TF-100 test kit.

11. Back To Top    #11

Not put in the Laminar deck jets. We hardly use them. We do however use the sunshelf with bubbling foot jets. I can get those to cascade 18" above water line. Kids love them and they look great. http://www.troublefreepool.com/our-p...ho-t29982.html
    I also wish we would have went with a Pentair Intelitouch instead of the Pentair Easycontrol. I would have liked to control the pool through an IP address on a computer.
    I wish we would have spent the extra money for a colored plaster.
    Even thought the PB complained, I am glad I contracted to put in Sch 80 pvc. Peace of mind for me.
    We are very happy with the Polaris cleaner and booster, I have never had to vacuum. We are also happy with our gunite choice over liner. I would have loved to have a more elaborate pool, but $$$ and our yard is pretty small.
    And lastly we love the SWG. Love it.
    21,500 Gunite Free Form ~ 18'X40', Sun Deck w/ foam jets auto valve, 3-Laminar Deck Jets w/ auto Valve, 1-Swim out, 3' to 8' deep, NPT Raku Tile
    All Sched 80 Pipe, Pentair Easy Touch control, Pentair pump and Sand Filter, Raypack Heater, White Plaster, Saline Chlorine Generation, Letro Platinum cleaner w/ booster

12. Back To Top    #12

.... realized that a project like this is always over budget. I heard, but never believed. I only hope to have enough to pay the water truck!! ;o\

13. Back To Top    #13

Can someone explain the recommendation/issue with connecting the main drains to a skimmer? Our pool builder is doing the plumbing this week, and according to my discussion on Saturday, the plan is to connect the drain to the skimmer. Why wouldn't I want this? The pool builder wasn't aware that anyone had any issues with it....
    24K gallon inground gunite/pebble sheen pool, 34'x16' 4-7.5ft deep, 750sq ft solar, pentair ultratemp, intelliflow vs+, ic60, intellichem w/ acid pump, quad de 100, intellibright 5g, intellitouch i5-3s with Screenlogic2, 3" primary piping - 2.5" at equip pad, auto switched deep heating and main returns, automatic safety cover w/ electronic lock and embedded recessed undertrack, sealed stamped concrete deck, dolphin deluxe 5, started up December 2011.

14. Back To Top    #14

...more than one light niche in the main pool. With a SAm light, it doesn't seem bright enough, and I doubt this will be the case with a new LED (e.g. Intellibrite) either. Give yourself more than one niche if you want to light up your pool properly with current lighting choices.
    38K in ground pool with attached spa. Current equipment: Easytouch 8 (521150) with IC-60 SWCG with web control by Autelis, 1x Pentair IntelliFlo 011018 pump (for filter), 1x Pentair 2HP WhisperFlo pump (for waterfall), 2X Pentair IntelliBrite 5G 12V lights, Pentair MiniMax400 NG Heater, Pentair SMBW2060 DE filter. Zodiac Barracuda MX8 cleaner on dedicated cleaner line. Lighting/home automation controlled by Insteon/ISY-99i.

15. Back To Top    #15

TFP Guide

Actually I'm pretty happy with my build. The main part of the pool is a 16 x 36, sport pool 5 ft center depth going to 3.5 on one end and 4 on the other. In addition to the main part there are shallows and the spa.

I have separate drain and skimmer runs with valves for each, a 7x7 shallow area that fits two recliners and a bench running the entire length of the pool (both at 16 inches deep) and a attached spa also 7x7 square.

I used a DE filter w a capture tank and SWG and floor cleaning system and solar heating. Concrete deck (self coping) finished with acrylic, very resistant to salt damage.

If I had it to do again I think I would make both ends 4 ft deep, other than that I'm very happy.
    chiefwej
    Tucson, AZ
    16x36 rectangular (19k) Pebble Tec play pool/spa, Pentair Intelliflo VS 011018, Super II 2hp (spa), Aqua Rite T-15 SWG, Pro Grid 60 DE, Hayward H400 & Heliocol Solar heating, A&A infloor system, fill water w/high CH and TA, 50 ppm borates,TF-100 test kit

16. Back To Top    #16

Quote Originally Posted by MattM
    Can someone explain the recommendation/issue with connecting the main drains to a skimmer? Our pool builder is doing the plumbing this week, and according to my discussion on Saturday, the plan is to connect the drain to the skimmer. Why wouldn't I want this? The pool builder wasn't aware that anyone had any issues with it....
    I like to have circulation through the main drain as it helps keep the water temperature uniform throughout the pool. There's no temperature stratification. To do so I have to mess with the little flap in the diverter in the skimmer, which is not the most precise adjustment.

The second reason is that if you need to drain a bunch of water, say, to lower the CH, it gets dicey with the main drain tied to the skimmer. If the water gets below the skimmer, you suck air, lose prime, and damage the pump. If the skimmer is shut off, you can suck the whole pool dry and never worry about losing prime. I don't know where San Diego gets its water, but the rest of the state generally has pretty hard water, so CH buildup is a real concern.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!