Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: chlorine

1. Back To Top    #1

My fj30 chlorinator is barely making any chlorine can anyone give me some advise?

2. Back To Top    #2
    San Dimas, CA (LA County)

Re: chlorine

Quote Originally Posted by susan6367
    My fj30 chlorinator is barely making any chlorine can anyone give me some advise?
    A set of test results would be really useful here. But for pure speculation:

Your salt level may be too low.
    You may have an algae bloom just starting, and it's consuming the free chlorine as fast as the chlorinator can generate it
    Your CYA level may be too low, and sunlight is degrading the chlorine as fast as it can be generated
    Something may be wrong with the chlorinator itself

Get yourself a plastic cup of some sort, invert it, get right down next to a return, and tip it up so it fills from the return. See what the FC level is there. Then you'll at least have an idea if it's generating or not.
    16K freeform gunite with spa; Pentair 4000 DE filter; Century Whisperflow 1 HP; Pentair Minimax heater.
    Troublefree does not mean Maintenancefree. It's like brushing your teeth: You can spend a couple minutes a day and pennies a week or go to the dentist once a year and spend several thousand dollars.
    A pool is like a pet - you have to feed it every day, even the days you don't want to play with it!

3. Back To Top    #3
    Orlando, FL

Re: chlorine

I agree w/ taking a clean sample from immediately at the return opening and testing it.
    If you get a decent FC level at the return, then something is using your FC in the water.
    If not, then troubleshoot the SWG output.
    [center:1kpalu48]Helpful Links: Pool School | CYA/Chlorine Chart | Pool Calculator[/center:1kpalu48]